FMJ VS JHP

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

FMJ VS JHP

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:43 pm

I've always loaded my 1911 with FMJs for home defense to minimize feeding problems.

In a recent hunting jaunt, however, a companion pumped three FMJs into an Angora ram when he ran out of arrows :lol: :lol: :lol: and the animal was still running in front of him with an arrow sticking from its ribs, shot from behind as it was fleeing, wounded. It died some distance away.

It was not even a big ram- regular sized, and the hide in fact was just like a goat, instead of being thickly coated with wool. It was only its curled horn, like a Dall's, that marked it out as a sheep and not a goat.

In any case, when skinned, one bullet was even found just under the hide at the other side.

And about JHPs-- well, at our range, an LEO told us about shooting a pitbull twice with JHPs before it finally keeled over, dead, a full hundred yards away.

So here I am, in a quandary. I know there are significant problems if I use JHP's, but if a wounded ram stuck full of arrows could take 3 FMJs and still continue running-- well...

Your thoughts?...
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:36 pm

The FMJ was designed not to expand, so it penetrates, potentially through the target. JHP's will expand, do more internal damage and transmit the shock of the round to the target. Technically, the JHP would have less penetrating power and more "stopping" power.

To be effective the round has to do damage to vital areas. Your description of the hunt was that the arrows didn't do immediate damage and the FMJ didn't do immediate damage. Seems like a story of where the ram was it and how long it took for it to bleed out.

Seems to be a continuing internet conversation on "which round" has the best stopping power. Lots of variables.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:16 am

JHP/FMJ sometimes it comes down to shot placement and that's not always easy when your being charged by a determined wounded animal.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:09 am

What do you think of loading .45 JHPs for home defense?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:14 am

That's kind of up to you. I don't know how well your pistol feeds JHP ammo. I'd want to be sure that my defense ammo feeds reliably. If that means shooting ball ammo then so be it. If I want bigger holes I'd just shoot semiwads out of my 45, I know they feed reliably in my pistols.

R,
Bullseye

Brian48

Post by Brian48 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:48 am

Whenever using a 1911 for home defense, I always use JHPs. I am very concerned about over-penetration. My guns have no issues feeding JHPs. So long as reliability is not compromised, I see no reason to use FMJ over JHP.