Atchisson .22 conversion

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Atchisson .22 conversion

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm thinking of getting an Atchisson .22 conversion kit for my DPMS AR-15 but I've seem some disturbing comments about the firing-out-of-battery problems with conversion kits. Since I shoot a rifle left-handed, this would be a significant concern for me. Anyone have any experience with these?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:38 pm

I have an old Colt 22 conversion kit and never had any out-of-battery problems with it. I have had some missfires with the Jewel Trigger Kit but that hammer is more deeply notched and is striking the conversion kit firing pin off-center.

I like the flexibility of going to an indoor range and practicing some position shooting with the rimfires for pennies.

Another option is building a dedicated rimfire upper. Cuts way down on cleaning and accuracy is very good.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 am

Thanks for the reply, Bullseye. You mentioned cleaning when using the conversion kit and I've heard that the .22 bullets tend to foul the gas port. Do you find that to be true and if so, what's the best way to clean the barrel? Also, do the copper-washed rounds eliminate this problem or at least mitigate it?
Thanks again.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:11 pm

No I haven't found the conversion kit hard on the gas port or tube. 22 ammo burns very dirty and does have a lot of unburnt powdwer residue, but if I take the gun back out to the high power range and shoot some 5.56, it blows out the fouling pretty well. If the fouling gets too bad I'll squirt some CLP down the tube and let it soak overnight. Then I'll blow the tube out with HP air or go out to the range and pump some rounds through the barrel. Go back to the shop and then give the bolt and internals a good cleaning.

I find that the conversion kit gets a lot of blow-by in the chamber area. Most conversion kits only fit up to the chamber shoulder, leaving the bullet to free travel through the chamber where the cartridge case neck noramlly seats. This causes a very dirty chamber and some minor leading. A good chamber scrubbing keeps everything operating smoothly.

R,
Bullseye