What kind of Service rifle do you shoot?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

What kind of Service rifle do you shoot?

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:21 pm

I shoot the AR now. I have a real nice shooting Bushaster XM-15 with all the match condition goodies.

I started out long ago with a match grade Garand then went to the M-14.

Anybody else? Feel free to jump in here.

BTW, I'm double Distinguished. So, I can shoot the long guns too!

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:30 pm

Bullseye, I shoot a DMPS A3 AR-15. I just posted a question in the center-fire rifle forum about getting a .22 conversion kit for it. Maybe you can help me out on that?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:40 pm

I posted a response to your question on the conversion kit.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:55 pm

I have a RRA NM AR, but since I shoot Bullseye Pistol almost exclusively, I have not fired the AR much in 3 years. Heck I'm still learning BE. Went Distinguished in '04. Time to shoot two disciplines is just not easy to find. I want to gain Master and 2600 first. I think they are coming.

I have settled on the 1911 45 in CF and 45, and the Marvel on a good lower for 22. This is even over the 208s, but the two are close.

Another thing about SR is I dont really feel like having another set of stuff (jacket, mat, scope stand, stool etc) to lug around. Bullseye is so simple with just a box and maybe a satchel for some extra stuff and lunch.

Also where I am at there are no HP ranges closer than 100 miles. I do have an excellent outdoor and indoor pistol range within 20 miles. Although there is a 200 yd rifle range there for reduced shooting.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:50 am

Pistol was, and still is, my first love. Mainly for the same reasons you've mentioned above. HP Service rifle, or Match rifle for that matter sure has a lot of stuff to drag around the range. Not to mention, there's a lot more pistol ranges then KD rifle ranges in most parts of the country. I'm fortunate that I don't have to be knee-deep in brass to keep my skills up, but getting some trigger time is essential. There's only so much that cold position work can do with out dropping the hammer on some live rounds. I found that 3pos smallbore rifle really improved my rifle skills, and it was something I could do indoors or out at most pistol ranges.

Most folks use the 1911 for both the CF and 45 stages in conventional pistol competition. I shoot the M-41 for the 22 stage. I have been for over 30 years, so I just stay with what I know. The Marvel wasn't around back then, but they do shoot some pretty good groups. I don't like the last shot not locking open with the Marvel, but I had the same problem with the Mark I Ruger, and I just made a new magazine follower to catch the bolt after the last shot. I'm sure the same type of thing could be fitted into a Marvel magazine and the aluminium follower could catch the slide and do it no harm. Not knowing if there's a round left in the chamber, or if it's empty, alway drove me nuts.

Good shooting.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:53 pm

What kind of service rifle do I shoot?

Well, I shoot two Enfields; one a NO4 MK1 .303, and the other an Ishapore 2A NO1 MK3 in 7.62 NATO. :roll:

Never did like the Mattel toy 16. I've only shot one, and a couple AR15s, and that spring in the butt stock drove me nuts. :?

I love the M1 Garands, and the M1As, but I couldn't and cant afford to get one. :cry:

Oh, and my fondest wish is to someday find an unaltered Springfield O3-A3 that I can afford. That is my fantacy as far as mil-surps go.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:12 pm

The way to overcome that "sproing" noise in the AR, is to put in a rear stock weight and lube the recoil spring. Not having that hollow cavity in the rear stock really suppresses the noise. With the weight, I don't hear the spring at all anymore. Everything sounds solid just like a 14 or a Garand.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:48 am

Bullseye is dead on again, I filled my AR15 (DPMS lower) with lead shot. It makes it much more of a pleasure to shoot, albeit heavier....if you're benchresting of course that's not an issue.

I absolutely love shooting all my K31s (and a circa 1899 96/11 long rifle), the Swedish M96 and M38 mausers, and their cousin the AG42 Ljungman in semi-auto, and finally a pristine Brazilian mauser which has proven most accurate.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:45 am

Bullseye is dead on again,...
Gee, I thought you were commenting on my onomatopoeic description of the problem. :D

I tried the lead shot routine but I like these lead "wedge" weights much better.

My match AR weighs in the neighborhood of 15lbs with heavy barrel, lead weights up front, and in the rear stock.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:59 pm

Ahhh, sound effects are the spice to life :lol:

Average Joe

Post by Average Joe » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:29 pm

I shoot the M1A , and also a few SKS rifles.

Jingoist

Post by Jingoist » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34 am

Hello fellow gun nuts. I am an upstart gun nut looking to fit in. Just bought a .223 S&W M&P 15, exact same as the M4. Gonna shoot it for the 1st time tomorrow. :D
Read a post earlier asking about the difference between the .223 and the 5.56 rounds. Didn't see a response. I thought these were the same am I wrong?
PEACE through SUPERIOR firepower!

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:06 am

Jingoist wrote:Read a post earlier asking about the difference between the .223 and the 5.56 rounds.
GunZone 5.56-vs-.223

well... yes, they are the same... except for the differences...
in the chamber, brass, primer, etc/etc...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:32 pm

That was a good reference posting Toy - Thanks. I don't always agree with the things Walt Kuleck posts but on this one we concur. The cartridges are very similar, to the point that you couldn't tell them apart side-by-side.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:36 pm

saw an reference on another forum that there
is an article in the Sep07 NRA 'Am.Rifleman'
about the 5.56-vs-.223

I switched to '1st Freedom' a while back,
so someone that gets "Am.RM" can comment
on the article... or correct my error...