Extreme tactical scopes

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Extreme tactical scopes

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 am

The three scopes I own have the traditional elevation and left to right adjustments, you know, where you gotta take off the caps and adjust a quarter of an inch at a hundred yds. They do however have ballistic plex retical for elevation and wind so my scope always stays set where it is and I dont change anything. However, I've been wanting a scope w/ the tactcal adjustments. Can someone w/ this experiance tell me a little bit about these adjustments? Such as, am i gonna have to turn whole revolutions to adjust my elevation or just a matter of clicks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:49 am

Typically scopes with target adjusting knobs are just a series of clicks. That means once you have your scope dialed in for a distance then you'd adjust the knobs for elevation and windage at other distances or conditions. Some scopes have very minute increments and depending on the change could result in a large number of clicks.

R,
Bullseye

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks Bullseye. Do you own one of these and are they quick enough to take game or just pretty much good for target shooting. I'm wanting one to sqeeze a little more accurate shots, but I dont wantta watch too many deer slip by either.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:12 pm

They make some new scopes with laser range finders built in. They are programable for your actual ballistics. I do not think they have any thing for windage due to wind though. Just how deep are your pockets...$$$$
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Well, where I hunt I know my yardage by markers. I usually keep an awareness on yardage anywhere I hunt. Right now, I've got a Burris Black Diomand 8-32-50 and it has ballistic plex retical so my elevations are pretty much set in stone up to six hundred yds. I'm looking into a Schmidt and Binder thats a 5-25-56. I shoot the same ammo out of my 7mm mag and it works good for my burris. I know Im gonna get more presision out of the tactical adjustments . I'm just concerned on how quick I'm gonna be w/ these adjustments. Are you saying that the range finder automatically adjust youre elevation all you gotta do is check your windage and shoot?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:50 am

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 with target adjusting knobs. If you know your settings and distances, it is plenty quick enough to adjust. I don't hunt much anymore so I'm not as current on the newer scope technology.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:06 pm

I just watched the tv movie "Shooter" with Mark Wahberg, for the 2nd time in a few months. It's a neat movie about an ex-marine sniper who has been double crossed by the goverment, and Wahberg seeks to clear his name along with some good ole fashioned revenge mixed in. Good, entertaining movie. The point of it all is, even though it is just a movie, it did show some sniping techniques used in sighting a scope. At several hundred yards he would calculate his distance, then adjust elevation, and of course, get his target. I am getting an AR-15 rifle, so this type of info is interesting to me. I need to learn how to use a scope properly, and make appropriate adjustments as well. I think at first, I will use the iron sights and see how I can do, old eyes willing.
Haka

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah, the ammo I use for the scope I have now matches up w/ my elevation lines well. 3 and 400yds Im getting 1 to 2 inch groups and 2 to 5 inch groups around 600 which is where my my elevation lines max out. I can live w/ these shots. The only complaint I have about my ballistic plex retical is if I deside to change ammo w/ different ballistics these elevation lines become dummie lines. When I first got the scope I was shooting bullett that was only 10 grains heavier and I almost took it back .Then I dropped down a 140gr and got the reults Ilisted above, which aren't perfect but good enough for what I need it for. To make a long story short, I think w/ a milldot and tactical adjustments I'll have a bigger selection of ammo and maybe shoot some longer distances w/ a lot of practice.

jrayb95

Post by jrayb95 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Mr. Nail,
You might want to take a look at this.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/laserscope.html

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:57 am

jrayb95, that is too cool. I requested a catelog. Its not like what I'm probally get but still, THANKS

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:20 am

Exacally, I learn to use milldot scopes from my father(11 yr Marine Corp) but his scope was just a set adjustment. The scope Im gonna get has the tactical adjustments. Thanks for that web cause I want one of those quick slide calculaters to save my brain from catching on fire.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Here is another source for optics http://swfa.com/default.aspx
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 am

Oh yeah, thanks. I know what scope I'm gonna get. Its a Police Marksman II. by Schmidt. Another one I was looking into but decided not to go w/ though is put out by US optics . (check em' out)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:52 pm

I got the SWFA catalog, and I see a lot of scopes that cost more than most cars I drive.....:shock: and Yhea, they do have some very good and expensive optics.....
David

Custom Built 1911