Anyone Into Lever Guns?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

billt

Anyone Into Lever Guns?

Post by billt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:53 am

I'm not a whole lot into lever guns, but here are a few of them. Sorry about some of the pictures, Some were scan jobs off of older photos.

A early 1970's Winchester Model 94 .30-30 I bought brand new off the rack at Sears in 1971. It was missing the hood on the front sight. I went back and forth with the salesman until the manager showed up and marked $25.00 off the price. I walked out the door with it for under $100.00. I really wanted it because the stock had nice Tiger Striping. I drove over to my local gun shop at the time and he installed a front sight hood while I waited for the whopping price of $3.50, and my new rifle was complete.

Another Winchester Model 94. This one is a "Trapper" Model in .45 Colt. It has a 16" barrel. I got it from a distributor out of Reno, Nevada back when I had my FFL, (pre Oklahoma City). When it arrived it had a cracked stock, so back it went. They admitted several had gotten out of the factory that way. When I got the second one, same deal. Finally the third time was a charm and the gun was beautiful without a mark on it. They were so nice to credit my account for $75.00 for all of my trouble.

A Marlin 39-A .22 LR. I had been wanting one for a long time so I finally gave in. Trouble was I called damn near every gun shop in Phoenix and no one had them. All kinds of stories about "limited production", and that sort of thing. I finally found a shop in town that had ONE. I drove over and paid retail price for it, ($405.00 at the time). I thought it was ridiculous for a .22, even though the action is like it was greased with butter. The other day Cabela's had one on their rack for well over $500.00 so I really can't complain. You never see them discounted. Even used ones are priced sky high.

While not a true lever gun I picked up this Winchester Model 88 in .308 about 15 years ago from a "friend of a friend". He only wanted $250.00 for it so I couldn't resist. It only had 2 boxes of ammo through it. It was an early 60's manufacture gun. I got it complete with the old steel tube Weaver KV-60, 6 power scope with "Swing Away" mounts. (Remember those?) I was going to replace the glass and mounts, but after I shot it I decided not to mess with it because it shot great. They were more of a lever actuated bolt action, than they were a true lever gun, which is why they were chambered for high pressure rounds like the .308, .358, and .284 Winchester back then. Like many guns, the cost to manufacture took it off the market.

This is the only lever gun I own with a scope other than the Model 88. It's a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. I mounted a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X in Leupold rings and bases. I originally bought it for a Wisconsin Black Bear hunt that never materialized. It's an accurate shooter, and I've got several .44 Magnum wheel guns to go along with it. It is an 80's model without any checkering on the stock.

Last is my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun. This is an earlier model that has the ported barrel. It really helps cut down on the recoil, but it really increases the muzzle blast! I haven't scoped it mostly because to me scoping a lever gun is a bit like putting a spoiler on a stagecoach. It just doesn't seem like it belongs. What I really like about the lever guns is the fun factor.

There are times when I get bored and just want to pull a trigger and have fun doing it without all of the worry about accuracy, group size, and all of the like. Mel and I will grab some lever actions and go out to our club range and have at the steel plates out at 200 yards. They really ring loud when you whack them with big, heavy bullets from lever guns. It's nice because we can both load the truck in about 5 minutes. No spotting scopes, bench rests, targets, and all the rest. Just guns and plenty of ammo. Can't beat that. Bill T.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:59 pm

What a fantastic collection! It must drive you crazy deciding which one to shoot. I'm crazy for that Tiger Stripe stock! I didn't own a lever gun until me and some of my Pals here began acquiring HENRY 22s which we have had a lot of fun shooting. I liked the HENRY so much I wanted something with more punch so I now have the MARLIN 1894 357 as a truck gun. I make no apologies about the optics as my old eyes require them. I call this one THUMPER. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:21 pm

I have a personal Win 94 in 32WS. I don't shoot it much but it is a nice 1950's production model gun. Not my choice of firearms but since it was a gift from my father a few years back I cannot see me parting with it.

R,
Bullseye

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Lever guns

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 am

Currently, only a few. Others have come and gone in years past. Wish they could have stayed though.
On hand now, Marlin 336 in 30-30
Marlin 1895 in 45-70
Rossi 1892 rifle, Octag. bbl in .45LC
Rossi 1892 carbine, round bbl. in .45LC
Henry .22
I really like the slick 1892s. Probably more to come ??

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 am

I like levers, but they don't follow me home like semiautos do.

All that's in the safe is a Henry lever carbine (.22s/l/lr) and an inherited Winchester Ranger (win 94 top-eject variant) in 30-30.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 am

Do those slings interfere with shooting, billt?

I never thought of any more than a carry sling for a lever gun, until looking at your photos there.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:16 pm

I thought about a Henry before I got my current 10/22. I could get into a lever .22 LR, if it used a loading gate like the bigger lever guns. Unscrewing and loading the .22 style tube magazine is a pain compared to pushing them into the gate.

I really considered a Taurus 62 pump .22 LR in stainless, until I learned it had been discontinued. I've shot a few of the old Winchester and Remington pump rimfire rifles, and that was a lot of fun shooting.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Just got 2 like KAZ, .22LR and .38Spcl/.357M<ag. Just like his a H001 and a 1894C, both fun shooters.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:17 pm

I've always admired them but it's great to see a well cared for collection like that, dang getting that itch.

billt

Post by billt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:10 am

bigfatdave wrote:Do those slings interfere with shooting, billt?

I never thought of any more than a carry sling for a lever gun, until looking at your photos there.
Not really. The sling on the Winchester Model 88 came with the gun, and I just left it on. It's a military style sling. The sling on the Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum is more of a carry type sling. It comes off quickly if I'm going to shoot the gun from the bench. Military slings once adjusted properly, really help to steady the gun for offhand shooting. Unless you've worked with them however, they can be somewhat of a pain to get adjusted properly. Bill T.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 pm

I just discovered this week that Henry has a pump rifle in .22, LR or WMR. That's now a future possibility.........

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h003tm_pumpoctagon.cfm
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 pm

I wouldn't personally dig the pump ... but if I wanted anything Henry makes I'd be willing to buy used, they've got a great track record for servicing anything they make.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 pm

I know this post is a bit old, but I've been away and I just could help but comment. I like lever action firearms. I killed my first deer with a 30-30 Marlin. I currently own a Marlin 39A that was made in 56 I believe. I also have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. What I like about lever action rifles is how handy they are, meaning how well the handle. Most are short, light, and nicely balanced. Plus I can travel with the 1894 to places that frown on handguns and AW type firearms.

Yleefox

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Yleefox wrote:I know this post is a bit old, but I've been away and I just could help but comment. I like lever action firearms. I killed my first deer with a 30-30 Marlin. I currently own a Marlin 39A that was made in 56 I believe. I also have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. What I like about lever action rifles is how handy they are, meaning how well the handle. Most are short, light, and nicely balanced. Plus I can travel with the 1894 to places that frown on handguns and AW type firearms.
Agree on the ergonomics of a lever gun ... bolt just doesn't feel natural for me, while lever does and lever guns tend to be short, narrow, and lightweight.

Just so you know, you can travel just about anywhere with a handgun, that's the whole point.