.357 stubbie

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:06 pm

The laser finally arrived. Installed, but not sighted in. Sighting in the scope (Bushnell 1.5-4 variable), I noticed that it didn't look straight lined up with the barrel. Took it off and looked at the rail mount. It was indeed crooked and pointing off toward Jones' place. Checked the screws and two were loose and only one tight. Tightening the screws didn't fix it. Took the rail off and, sure enough, the only screw that was tight was off center. I removed that screw (rear-most screw) and put the rail back on using only the two forward screws. Now the rail is straight and tight. Re-installed the scope and took the rifle to Washington for a visit with our son, DIL and grandkids over the 4th. While there we went to son's local range and tried to sight in the rifle with the scope. No good. Holes all over the place. Confused and disappointed, I brought it home and yesterday, noticed the scope was loose. I tightened it and measured off 25 yards at home. Fired several groups and still they were all over the place.

I put the red dot back on and the groups instantly tightened. Considerably. Seems the scope is ruined. Probably went past its limits when sighting in on a crooked rail. I still don't know the rifles accuracy potential. I need a solid bench rest and a good trigger job to find out. Maybe I'll build a bench. A new scope in the works, too. Along with two sets of QD rings so I can switch back and forth. The jury is still out.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Last night, I ordered a Weaver 4X28 "scout" scope and a riser extension rail to push it forward. Why scout? I don't like the hammer extension used on short eye relief scopes and the scout has a 9" eye relief that will put the scope well forward of the hammer. Bye, bye extension. The weaver is parallax adjusted at 50 yards which I think will be perfect for a short range .357 rifle. Can't wait to see if this little rifle will shoot straight with decent optics. I've also ordered QD rings for both the red dot and scope so I can switch between the two as desired.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-rifl ... 49417.html
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 pm

The Ruger Scout Rifle has the same setup. Besides the usual Ruger ring mounts on the receiver, it has a rail above the forearm that could be for a long eye relief scope. I think you both have a good idea.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm thinking it will make a good "camper" gun to carry in our motor home/camper and go nicely with the SP101 .357 mag revolver and/or SW mod. 36 in .38 spl. It measures 31-3/4" now and about 31" after I replace the thick recoil pad. It won't take up much room, assembled and can be broken down to fit a "briefcase" size case. With a little planning, I can fit both the rifle and revolver in a briefcase size case. I'm still considering sending it back to H&R for a 22" 20 ga. barrel fitting. Very tempting at $55 + shipping.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Well done! The 20ga barrel would finish it as a perfect Camper 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 pm

The scope came in, along with the QD rings, riser/extension and I put them all together. I'm not happy with this conglomeration. I've ordered a 12" picatinny rail to replace the factroy rail and the riser/extension. I will need to drill and tap the barrel, but should not be a problem. I have lots of drills and taps and if I don't have the right size, I know where to get them. The scope is a 9" eye relief. A 6" eye relief would have been perfect.....but that's hind sight. It is what it is and the Weaver will be fine with a longer rail.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Received the longer rail, a 12" with both ends drilled. I contemplated cutting it to 9.5", but decided to leave it full length. I (carefully) drilled and tapped the barrel and made a shim for the forward (muzzle) end to keep it level. Since the bottom of the rail was flat, I used my router/table to cut a radius (concave) the bottom of the rail where it sits on the chamber swell. Fortunately, I had a bit that matched close to the same radius (slightly smaller) as the barrel at the breech. It sits firmly. I'll Loctite the screws and assemble today.

I'd like to remove the recoil pad and replace it with a butt plate. Since the stock is hollow, it seems like a good place to carry a few items like spare batteries for the laser and red dot and maybe a few extra rounds of ammo. To do that I'm thinking about ways to make the butt plate open easily. I've seen older guns with hinged butt plates.....or a swinging plate????? If anyone has an idea to accomplish this, I'd appreciate the input.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:39 pm

I thought I'd update this thread. The rifle came with a scope mount which I replaced with a picatinny rail.

I took the old mount, cut it down to 3" and screwed it to the bottom of the forend. Then I fabricated a simple bipod using a 1" dia tube and welded to legs to it. Painted and used a pair of UTG QD rings to attach it.

Not tested yet, but it is solid. Just for bench shooting. The mount could also be used for a flashlight, should I ever have a need to go night shooting/hunting.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Been tinkering with this rifle and thought I'd update.

I removed the Weaver Scout scope to put that one on my Benjamin Sheridan pumper. I ordered a Bushnell 3-9X40 with 6" eye relief for the Handi, hoping the 6: eye relief would put it just forward of the hammer spur. It didn't work out that way, but with the riser to clear the 40mm objective bell, it does work very well. I removed the barrel clamp laser mount and placed the laser on a 45 degree offset QD mount. Then I placed a weapon light on the forearm, also on a QD mount. Everything comes off and the gun can be configured to suit the situation.

Bipod for bench shooting or prone, light/laser for racoons, possums and other night critters, scope for deer, cans and paper punching, etc.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:11 am

Jack,
I got to see this rifle of yours. I looks fantastic.
Jack

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:57 am

The 45 degree mount is great, I use one with a holographic sight on my, Smith 15-22 for sort range targets. works great .
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Jack, it's been a fun project. Things like this happen when you have excess time on your hands. It's a fun gun to shoot, too. Short makes for fast handling and easy carrying. It is really a versatile rifle for anything from small game to deer and maybe even bigger game (black bear?). I can hand load light target loads and in 180 gr. and 200 gr. bullets, I can load up to .357 Maximum maximum loads, 180 gr. XTP over 20 gr. 4227 for ~2000 fps MV or 200 gr. XTP over 18 gr. 4227 for ~1800 fps MV. The light loads are 148 HBWC over 3.0 gr. Trailboss with an estimated MV around 800 fps. This one makes a "pop" similar to a .22lr. With all accessories with QD rings on picatinney, I can pick and choose to fit the situation. The scope seems a bit oversized, but it is clear and bright and works well.

BAOM, The original "clamp on" mount just didn't make the cut. Much rather the laser be removeable and the 45 deg. mount does the job.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Jack D wrote:
BAOM, The original "clamp on" mount just didn't make the cut. Much rather the laser be removeable and the 45 deg. mount does the job.
It works for Jerry Miculek the S&W pro shooter, mine is just on the other side, as I shoot from the other side. Jus remember to flip the gun up and keep the sight vertical and you can chew the center out of a target at 7 to 10 yards. Try 2.3 grains of TrailBoss, shoot them in my Marlin 1894C and they are great at 25 yards, have never been able to get them on the paper at 50, they might be hitting the ground before they get there. That HBWC bullet is not a very efficient flier..
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:05 pm

="bearandoldman
Try 2.3 grains of TrailBoss, shoot them in my Marlin 1894C and they are great at 25 yards, have never been able to get them on the paper at 50, they might be hitting the ground before they get there. That HBWC bullet is not a very efficient flier..
50 yards is my longest range here at home. I tried lesser charges and, as you found, they didn't make it to 50 yards. So that's why the 3.0 gr. charge.
I am now casting my own bullets from captured lead in my bullet trap. 158 gr. SWC Lee tunble lube. I've learned how to put gas checks on them so now I use them in Maxi loads as well as light target loads. Casting is a slow process, but rewarding. I may never buy any HBWC again. Last time I cleaned out my bullet trap, I had 50# of scrap lead. I can't use it all, since much of it ends up as scum, but I can reclaim a bunch of it.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser