Ammo and sighting-in a .357 rifle.

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:38 pm

I just ordered 500 HBWC's (probably PD's). Anxious to try them in all my .38/.357's. I thinking they will be the perfect answer, in very light loads, to shooting indoors and outdoors at home without causing the neighbors to go into duck and cover mode. I'm hoping they do as well for me as they do for BAOM and friend.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm

They should serve you well. Everything I read on HB is nothing but POSITIVE. I've shot them in 45 acp and had good results with a 3" barrel.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Got them in a few days ago. Today I loaded up 60 rnds with ~3 gn Trailboss in a mixed bunch of brass. Fired them all at 50' (longest distance I can get inside my shop). Most groups (using the scope) of 5 shots could be covered with a quarter. Those that couldn't, were only slightly larger. I suspect a good shot could do even better. I think this project gun is a keeper.

I accidently loaded one bullet backwards (HBWC) but fired it anyway. It made a strange sound, nothing like the rest, and I have no idea where it hit the target, if at all. It may have gone through an existing hole, or it may have missed the paper completely. I didn't expect that.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Tested HBWC's in my H&R and was pleased.

Two targets with HBWC over 3 gr. Trailboss. First one using rifle on top of tool box and pillow at 50' (measured). I fired all of these shots in rotation (one shot at each spot until 25 fired, 5 shots at each spot). Using scope. It's shooting a little high at 50', but that's good for longer ranges.

The second is the same ammo fired in SP101, 3" bbl at 25' standing two hand hold, laser, double action at about 1 sec. intervals. Then two rounds from the rifle standing off hand at 50'.

This looks like a very good all-around target load for both of my .357's.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Good to hear the HB is working out for you. It's been a long journey getting to where your at now.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:43 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Good to hear the HB is working out for you. It's been a long journey getting to where your at now.
It's been an education, too and a lot of fun along the way. This morning, I fired 50 rounds of the 148 gn. HBWC's at 50', 45 of which were standing, offhand.

The first 25 were fired at one target as fast as I can shoot a single shot rifle and still hit the target. The barrel was still cold at the end of these 25 rounds.

The second target was 15 rounds fired the same. Barrel still cold. No waiting (cooling off period) between the two targets.

Then I fired five rounds resting over a pillow rest on top of my tool box (something akin to resting over the hood of a car on a jacket).

The final five rounds were standing, offhand, like the first two targets.

What I learned from this session is that the rifle is consistant. I'm not really very steady, so I tried to fire as the crosshairs passed over the center of the bull. The trigger just gets better and better as I fire this gun, It is no where near as heavy as it was when I bought it. Still a bit heavy, though.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm

I thought I'd update this thread. I received a box of 140 gr. FTX bullets as a gift I loaded them up as standard .357 mag. rounds with a COAL of 1.6" then wondered what would I get if I seated that bullet out closer to the rifling lands. This rifle has a very long throat and those lands are almost 5/8" from the case mouth. I found that with the bullet seated as far out as possible (1/8") it was still ~1/8" from touching the lands (COAL 1.96"). Without a cannelure, a 1/8" seating depth is probably too shallow, although I can't remove it with my bare hands. I decided on a depth of .20" at a COAL of 1.86". I slowly worked up a load using some IMR 4227 that I had on hand. Starting at 16+ grains, then more and more as I fired each one to look for excess pressure signs. I ended up at 20 gr. of IMR 4227 and still no signs of excess pressure. That load is slightly compressed, so no more room to add powder. Since I don't have a chronograph, I don't know the exact velocity, but using published loads as a guide and adding for barrel length and added powder, I estimate the MV at ~2050 fps. This is probably generous.

Using the on-line Powley computer, this load should have ~ 43400 CUP pressure. Well below the 45000 CUP for the .357 Mag. or the 48000 CUP for the .357 Maxi.

I've ordered some 200 gr. FTX to try next.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 am

I read Jack D's shooting adventures with pleasure. I am about 20 miles from his place. Jack has done fantastic metal work for me in the past. Look over his website. The metal work and projects you see are amazing. Love that tractor.

Anyway, Jack, if you want to try some other 38 lead bullets, I have several brands on my shelf.

Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:56 am

Looks like he's also having a good time with another of his hobbies, making accurate reloads.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 am

Hardball wrote:I read Jack D's shooting adventures with pleasure. I am about 20 miles from his place. Jack has done fantastic metal work for me in the past. Look over his website. The metal work and projects you see are amazing. Love that tractor.

Anyway, Jack, if you want to try some other 38 lead bullets, I have several brands on my shelf.

Jack
Greetings, Jack. Wondered if you were still around. Thanks for the kudo's even if it is exaggerated. I do enjoy tinkering with various projects. It keeps me alive.

Bullseye. I hope they are accruate. Hard to test. No range near me. I have the woods, but even that is difficult to get a measured distance and conditons are not the best either.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser