Happy Anniversary Here

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Happy Anniversary Here

Post by charlesb » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:31 pm

My wife and I were married 21 years ago, on December 23rd.

The drill here is that we exchange anniversary gifts on the 23rd, and it's all about our kids on Christmas. ( Our kids are all grown, now. )

This year I got a Rossi Model 92 lever gun in .357 mag, in stainless. - I'll get to try it out on Christmas morning.

Meanwhile it's fun to handle and look at. I'm already looking at the little Rossi safety lever just ahead of the hammer on the frame, and wondering if I could remove it and mount a peep sight there.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:38 am

I don't know why the phrase, "Don't shoot your eye out kid!" Comes to mind this time of year but it did. Congrats on the new rifle!

R,
Bullseye

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Congratulations on the Aniversary
Re: the safety lever. Yes it can be removed.
http://www.shootersforum.com/model-92s- ... -92-a.html
One way to do it.
I have 2 Mdl 92s in .45 Colt. Lots of rounds through both, and fun. One I have is the Carbine version, and one a rifle with octagonal barrel.
Over time, the ejector area tends to crud up, so I usually blast it with cleaner every so often in that area. If the action seems a little rough, (mine weren't, but some are) they are pretty easy to slick up with just a little judicious work on some of the milling left by the factory.
Again, Contrats, and have fun.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:15 pm

The little Rossi is accurate but hard to load, especially with cold hands.

I was shooting a steel silhouette at 100 yards with light .38 spl round-nose loads. About a half-second after firing, I would hear the bullet strike the steel.

I never did get more than three rounds of .357 mag in the magazine, and it shot high with the .357's. - The .38 specials appeared to be be pretty close to right on, but I won't really know until I shoot at paper.

Right now I'm staying in a motel while I house-hunt... All of my tools are packed away in storage, so any surgery will have to wait.

I found a peep sight online that replaces the safety. When I get a mailing address here, I'll order one of those and a blank dovetail-filler for the barrel.

Overall a great little gun, but this one needs to be slicked up a little.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 pm

I finally found a house, and have a mailing address now.

To celebrate, I ordered the peep-sight safety replacement for the Rossi M92, a stainless dovetail-filler to replace the original rear sight, and the 'action job' kit from Steve's Gunz.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/

The action job kit includes a How-To DVD, a new magazine plug and ejector spring.

I plan to refinish the stock as well, but not until I have the action slicked up.

They got all of that stuff in the mail in just a day or two, after I ordered it on-line. It will probably be here in a few days, they sent it priority mail. Nice folks.

Will report and show pics when I get a chance to tackle all of that. - I'll have to get all of my junk moved into the new ( to me ) house first, and set up my work bench again.

The Big Bend Sportsman club here at Alpine, Texas is pretty nice, nothing fancy but all in good shape and I've met some nice people there.

We had 4" of snow last night, and fog around the mountains. - Quite a change from the lower Rio Grande Valley.

The altitude change had me under the weather for a few days, but I'm getting over it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:22 am

Sounds like you're in for some interesting hobby work over the next few weeks. Have fun with your new lever gun.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:14 pm

If your now in Alpine your no longer in the southern tip of Texas. Maybe the foot hills of the Davis Mountains....:wink:

Your in a area where long range shots will be common...
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 am

The action on the little Rossi 92 is all slicked up now, and I am about to re-do the stock.

The end of the fore-end, ahead of the barrel band is squared off. I intend to round it off and that is the only modification that I have in mind, other than applying a few coats of True-Oil and buffing it to a satin finish with a bit of steel wool.

There is also a small chip out of the buttstock right at the butt-plate that I intend to address.

Boy am I glad to finally have my workbench set up again, my tools unpacked and sorted out!

The plan here is to never move again. The house is paid for, I'm not going to budge after this.