.270 or .308?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

.270 or .308?

Post by jjfunk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:01 pm

I have a gun show coming up next weekend and plan on making several purchases while there. Quick question, I want to build a super accurate bench/hunting gun, and around here 200 to 500 yard shots aren't uncommon for deer and antelope. I like the ballistics of the .270, but I am worried that I may be lacking with that choice when it comes to takedown power. Any suggestions? Or should I be looking at a different caliber?

Thanks,

JJ
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:08 am

I'm of the opinion that .270 is sufficient for taking deer. Many have been harvested with .243, but that round is typically on the top end of its game size with deer. The .270 has a nice flat trajectory and is just as capable as the .308 for deer hunting.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:42 am

Bullseye wrote:I'm of the opinion that .270 is sufficient for taking deer. Many have been harvested with .243, but that round is typically on the top end of its game size with deer. The .270 has a nice flat trajectory and is just as capable as the .308 for deer hunting.

R,
Bullseye
What about pigs? I am not talking of an Ivan Porkzilla with gamy meat, but just an ordinary good-sized, good-eatin' feral Porky Pig?

I've got a friend who's considering a .30-06. Now as you know, I'm a .30-06 man, but he has no experience with HP's and is slightly built. Besides, I don't think that going after a bear or a moose is in his agenda. Just like me, what he will probably be going after will be muleys and pigs.

I'm inclined to advise him go for the .270 except for the availability of rifles in that caliber at reasonable prices.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:36 am

.270 is more than enough cartridge for feral pigs, even the really good sized ones.

R,
Bullseye

sniper

Post by sniper » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:38 pm

What? Sounds like someone may have been reading Elmer, (not Fudd) who opined that the .270 was a "damned adequate coyote rifle." :roll:

I think he said that just to piss off Jack O'Conner, who liked the .270. :D

POPPYCOCK! The .270 is adequate for any North American game, except perhaps the great bears, and a potful of them have been done in with the .270, .308, and 7 X 57MM Mauser level cartridges.

A 150 grain Federal Premium load, which uses the Nosler Partition bullet is PLENTY for the biggest elk you ever did see. Mine was. The 130 and 140 gr. loadings are also perfectly adequate for all manner of beasties LOTS larger than deer. 8)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Sniper,

I'm not sure where your going with your point - because I've already said that I consider the .270 a cartridge on par with the .308 - which means we agree on that point and the level of game that can be safely taken with the .270 bullet. I thought that maybe I didn't make my position clear earlier but when rereading the posts above it seems pretty clear to me. Maybe you misunderstood my comment about the .243 cartridge being at the edge of it's limit with larger game like deer.

Am I misreading your post?

R,
Bullseye

sniper

Post by sniper » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Bullseye wrote: Am I misreading your post? Bullseye
Nope, you read it correcty. Actually, I was addressing this point in the original post...

"I like the ballistics of the .270, but I am worried that I may be lacking with that choice when it comes to takedown power."...

Now, I admit, it is a bit confusing, but thought the poster was concerned about the .270's capability at longer ranges.

You and I probably agree, it has plenty for all practical purposes.
8)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Whew - Then I was misreading your post because I thought you were addressing my answer not the original posting from August. It might be prudent to quote any old posts when responding to any old messages, that way we all are on the same page. Typically, I don't quote the post directly above my reply, but any older and I'll quote or start off with the OP's name like in a letter.

Thanks for helping me clear that up.

R,
Bullseye

sniper

Post by sniper » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:44 am

Good suggestion, to avoid future confusion. I just GOTTA start reading those posting dates. :oops:

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:20 pm

I know it's been a while, but I did get the .270. Thanks for all the help guys.

JJ
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

sniper

Post by sniper » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm

Enjoy! :D

slabsides

Post by slabsides » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:54 am

The .270 will suit you fine. But in case someone else is also deciding on a similar choice..."the .308 will suit you fine!"
I'm inclined to favor the .270 as an all-around hunting rifle for the sort of game we find all over the US. With proper bullet choice, it'll do what is needed on even big stuff. It shines in the wooded Northeast and the park-like West.
If the emphasis was more on bench accuracy, especially at long range, I'd favor a heavy barrelled .308. Just because there are lots of good bullets and loads for that purpose in the .30 caliber regime.
I have a Win. M70 .270 and a Remington 700 .308 VS, both owned for more than 20 years, and so I'm not prejudiced either way!
I like the 150 grain bullet in the .270, and the 165 grain in the .308. I doubt if any game animal at any sane range would react differently to either.
There are loads that give the edge in acccuracy to the .308. But it's a darn fine edge.
You chose well, Grasshopper!

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:51 pm

I also look at it with regard to what ammo is readily available in your area. Around my area (Mid Ga.) .30+ is more popular, so .300, .308, .30-06 etc. is available everywhere, especially surplus if that's your bag. .270 is gaining, but not there yet. It's a bit harder to find, not rare but not every corner store either.

I have a .308 Remington 742 Carbine, a buddy has a Ruger #1 in .270. We both have great groups at 300 yards, so they're both fine in my eyes.

What has suddenly gotten rare around here is 7.62X54R Mosin ammo. Gotta get it at gun shows recently unless I want to pay $1.50 a round. For a rifle I bought as a neat historic toy that's nuts.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 pm

SKnight wrote:I also look at it with regard to what ammo is readily available in your area. Around my area (Mid Ga.) .30+ is more popular, so .300, .308, .30-06 etc. is available everywhere, especially surplus if that's your bag. .270 is gaining, but not there yet. It's a bit harder to find, not rare but not every corner store either.

I have a .308 Remington 742 Carbine, a buddy has a Ruger #1 in .270. We both have great groups at 300 yards, so they're both fine in my eyes.

What has suddenly gotten rare around here is 7.62X54R Mosin ammo. Gotta get it at gun shows recently unless I want to pay $1.50 a round. For a rifle I bought as a neat historic toy that's nuts.
Unless you do real serious shooting with it, won't the milsurps that can in spam cans do? Readily available online and mail order houses. Buddies use that for blasting- accurate enough. But still, y'know how it is with milsurps- occasionally...
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:44 pm

jaeger45 wrote:
SKnight wrote:I also look at it with regard to what ammo is readily available in your area. Around my area (Mid Ga.) .30+ is more popular, so .300, .308, .30-06 etc. is available everywhere, especially surplus if that's your bag. .270 is gaining, but not there yet. It's a bit harder to find, not rare but not every corner store either.

Unless you do real serious shooting with it, won't the milsurps that can in spam cans do? Readily available online and mail order houses. Buddies use that for blasting- accurate enough. But still, y'know how it is with milsurps- occasionally...
Milsurp is exactly what I shoot, in fact I have six boxes right here that are from God knows where, found at a show $6 for 20 rounds. What I'm talking about is the I'm out, don't want to wait a week factor. I'm awful with iron sights, and this is a conventional 91/30, so all I'm doing is making a lot of noise. Milsurp is more than fine.

Sportsmans guide had 880 round packs for cheap recently, no money to snap any up. I can't imagine how long 880 rounds would last me. It came out to something like $.16 a round, I can't reload for twice that.