1903A3 Rear Sight

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

get1

1903A3 Rear Sight

Post by get1 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:49 pm

My son and I have been shooting my Dad's old '03A3 (Smith Corona) that he bought thru the CMP for about 29 bucks back in 1959 or so. One of the guys that works at the range made up some reduced charge loads for us to tame it down some. Without the monstrous kick, it really is an awesome gun to shoot.

My question regards the rear peep sight. It's aperture seems very large and I'd like to get a replacement that is smaller. If available, I'd also like to get some undrilled, that I could try different hole sizes. Does anyone know where I might get something like that? Much obliged.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 am

got peechers?
I'd like to see your "treasure"...

for your 'sights'... just a hunch...
contact SkinnerSights.com

good luck, let us know what happens.
--toy

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:56 am

Man, does that bring back some memories! I had an '03A3 that I also got thru the CMP program back about 1958 or so and I think the price was around 30 bucks or thereabouts. I killed a bunch of coyotes with that rifle and it did have a pretty good kick. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine when I lived in California (don't know what I was thinking about) and I've lost track of him. I'd sure like to get my hands back on that old girl; they are lots of fun to shoot.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:54 pm

Posters get1 and Blindpig both mentioned using reduced charges for their '03 bolt actions to tame the kick.

This has given me an idea about the very unpleasant kick of my British Ishapore .308. Though I have shot the M14 and its civvy counterpart M1A using the GI .308 NATO cartridge without any problem- seems to be on the soft side compared to the Garand- shooting the same cartridge in my bolt action Ishy is definitely unpleasant despite the recoil pad.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate