M1 REAR SIGHT

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

M1 REAR SIGHT

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:46 pm

M1 Rear Sight

Bullseye-

I cannot disassemble the rear sight of my M1 anymore, whereas I used to do it blindfolded back in the ROTC. (50 years DO make a differnce, I guess.) You see, I'll-- finally-- install my BSquare scope mount.

I keep on unscrewing the windage knob, but it just won't, see pictures. Before, once I had removed the horizontal bar lock, it was just a matter of unscrewing the windage knob off. But now, even when I try to pull it out to the right, it just won't. I even tried to pull out with a needle-nosed plier that small retaining screw (?) in the middle without using any force, and it still won't. What should I do?

A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:45 am

Jaegar,

Your pictures are a little fuzzy but the lock screw has to be removed from the windage knob before you can remove it off of the shaft. It is around the center of the hollow pin, the one with the slot on both sides.

Here's a link to a sight that shows how to disassemble a rear sight without the lockbar. http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/rsdi ... /index.asp The elev knob locking screw is the one with the screwdriver inserted in it (figure 2). Or here at the CMP website http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/str ... ight3.html

That flat locking bar looks like it is broken off of the windage locking screw. Normally that flat piece is staked onto the locking screw.

You should still be able to remove it but you'll have to loosen that lock screw.

This M1 Combination tool has a split screwdriver end just for releasing the windage knob screw.

I don't have any more Garands with the lockbar style rear sights here, or I'd take some disassembly pictures for you.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:49 am

You said: That flat locking bar looks like it is broken off of the windage locking screw. Normally that flat piece is staked onto the locking screw.

And (as usual), you are correct: that windage locking screw had worked itself loose from the locking bar or spindle and remained inside.

I was able to (carefully) work it loose with a needle-nosed pliers-- and the spring shot free, unseen! I just dimly remembered there was a spring under that spindle that made me persist in looking for it-- and found the sucker under the sofa. :D :D :D

Thanks much!!! Will post some pix later with the scope attached.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Bullseye-

I tried out my M1 with its B-Square-mounted offset scope- initially, it won't even print at 25 yds. Finally, when I got the bullets printing, having reached the limit of the scope adjustments, I found I needed to use the mount elevation srews. I brought only 5 clips of milsurp as I didn't anticipate much trouble in zeroing.

I had to use 10 rds of commercial PMC 150gr BT SP to get to the black. I guess that group would give me a 2 MOA at 100 yds? I'll fine tune it next week and zero it at 75 yds only. What do you think?

And I'll definitely need a cheek rest.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:24 pm

looks like you got it heading in the right direction , and always to bring at least twice as much ammo as you think you will need, that way you will not run out as soon , but you will run out. :D
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:11 am

Sometimes I have to shim the scope to move it over to one side. This means placing small metal shim plates under the screw mounts to offset the windage error and keep the adjusting screws near midrange. If you're still at the limit this might be an option for you.

R,
Bullseye