Is this Reasonable damage on new Ransom Rest inserts?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Is this Reasonable damage on new Ransom Rest inserts?

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:36 pm

I just purchased a new set of 1911 government Ransom Rest inserts from midway. They are brand new, and I have not used them yet. As soon as I opened the box and inspected them, I noticed two things that would appear to be not normal.

The first thing I noticed is that the bottom hole of the right-hand insert where the grip screw stud is placed in the RR insert had a fairly large gouge taken out of it. Here is a picture:

The second thing I noticed was that the middle portion of the left-hand insert appeared to be hollow. I do not think this is normal because the right-hand insert is solid. When inspecting the back of the right-hand grip insert (the one that feels hollow in places), I noticed that there is a void of rubber in the middle hole. Here is a picture:

So my question is are both these issues acceptable? I just wanted to check with you guys before I bother RR about something that is not an issue.

Thanks.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Contact Ransom and see what they say. A while back some one had a problem with the pads and they sent new ones out FREE.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 am

No, that's not normal. That void is especially bad. Randsom stands behind their products and will replace your defective grip inserts.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:33 am

I have to admit, mine look similar. but mine is also 20+ years old and has tested thousand upon thousand of rounds.

Usually you will get this if you don't have the grip screw bushings properly seated in the grip adaptors.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Ransom said those are trash grips. They are sending me a new set.

This is the second time I have had a problem with one of their products, but they made the last problem right as well.

Good customer service.