Short cycling

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Short cycling

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:17 pm

Was qwt the range this afternoon and s\checking out some different ammo in the 22'45's set up with the scopes for bench reast shooting. Noticed with standard velocity ammo both CCI standard and /Winchester T22 wiyld get a failure to eject the spent case and then it will make a mess. Had this problem with weak ammo in my SA Micto so I just quit using it. What about removing a coil from the recoil spring to soften it a little. Had a sinmilar problem on my SA V-10 and a coil and a half solved the problem, but it sure does pitch the empties.

Bullseye have you ever run into this problem?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:45 pm

Yes, I have seen this type of failure before. Removing a coil or two is certainly an option but this action may limit you to firing only standard velocity ammunition out of your pistol from now on. With a few coils removed the bolt could slam back hard enough with high velocity ammo to damage or break the bolt stop. The damage may not happen right away but could accumulate over time in the form of stress cracks.

Another option could be to polish the bolt and the inside of the receiver tube for a little less resistance. I used some polishing compound and a Foredom tool (which is just a high-powered Dremel Moto-Tool). A Dremel tool with a flexible shaft extension and some felt 1" buffing pads would work fine. Apply the polishing compound to the outside of the bolt and polish with a buffing wheel to a high gloss shine. Take the 1" felt wheel and use it on the flex shaft and insert the pad into the receiver tube and buff the inside of the tube to reduce drag. This works really well and one does not have to polish off the blueing to vastly reduce the drag on the bolt.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:06 pm

May have to give one of thema try, an extra recoil spring to use for standard ammo only is not that expensive. Will have to wait and see what ammo works the best So far CCI minimags seeem to group well with either the 535 or 8 inch barrrel. will have to run some more ammo befroe making a decision the Winchester T22 and the CCI standard do not look bad either.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Ordering a second recoil spring assembly and tuning it for reduced power ammunition is a great idea. This would leave you the option of using whatever ammo you choose by simply placing in the proper tension recoil spring assembly.

R,
Bullseye

jaybar

Recoil spring snipping - don't!

Post by jaybar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Oldman - The SA Micro (recoil operated) and your 22/45 (blowback operated) are two different animals with significantly different recoil springs that provide significantly different attributes to the firing/extraction/ejection cyle. Each coil on your SA probably equates to about a pound of pressure when the spring is compressed, while each coil on your 22/45 equates to about an ounce of pressure in the same state. Your 22/45 recoil spring is designed to handle any of the standard velocity ammo on the market. Snipping away at it won't solve your problem. I'll bet you weren't "short cycling" since you said that the unejected empty caused a mess which I interpret as trapping the next shell that was trying to feed (can't feed if it short cycles).

Does the ammo do the same thing if you aren't shooting from the bench? If it does, then check to make sure nothing is restricting the bolt movement - like the screws from the scope mount. If it only malfunctions from the bench then I'd wager that you are resting the butt of the gun on the bench, thereby seatinging the magazine a little higher and that the rim of the shell is hitting the magazine lips on the way back to the ejector and being knocked loose causing the stovepipe condition.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:37 pm

Bullseye, that is pretty cleveer for a fellow Polak, the Penguins got you right in line. Was at the range this morning and shooting some bowling oins with some other old guys, but did get a few rounds through the scoped monster. Had one empty jam above the upcoming round with thopen end ponted forward baut slighthly out. When the ?Micro short cycles the empty case never hits the extractor and does not go back far enough to pick up a round and the slide jams on top of teh topr round in the mag. Out of 1 box of 50 rounds, 5 mags with 10 each it only happened once and this may have been when I sometimes put a little extra doen pressure on the gu in order to zero the cross hairs on the horizontal center line. May have to shim taht mag a little or just e a little more cautious of down pressure. The extra bsen pad on the mag really steadises up the back of the gun. If it was a regular MarkII I would have grips like you bullseye shooter use with the wide base flange. Have another setup thaclamps on the bottom of the grip but this squeezes the grip frame and distorts the mag area enough to make them want to come out hard. Image

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:16 am

Good idea about the spare recoil spring assembly.

Ripsaw

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:58 pm

I was having some cycling issues with my MKII and Aguila SV ammo the last two times at the range. Aguila apparently is softer ammo and this particular lot has many oversize rounds that fail the chamber drop test. At the same time this aguila will work ok in a Marvel and a 208s.

The MKII cycles perfectly with CCI SV, old whitebox T22, Eley.

This particular MKII has already a Volquartsen extractor. I had to stone the lower extractor edge to ease the rim up under better. I guess this extractor was too tight.

Another MkII works perfectly and is very accurate with the old Federal 900B. I wish it was still made.