223 vs 5.56 brass

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

223 vs 5.56 brass

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:31 pm

I was on the Natchez website
and noticed the LC 5.56 unprimed brass. Right now I have standard 223 brass I am using, what problems will this cause
for me ? Can I intermix both types together and reload them the same? Should I buy these, or just stick with SAAMI 223?
http://www.natchezshooterssupply.com/pr ... D=FA556UPB
thanks, tom
thanks, haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Do you know what kind of chamber is in your AR? (5.56 NATO military or a .223 SAAMI chamber) If you have the NATO chamber your fine with either. If you have a SAAMI chamber than using military brass could cause an overpressure situation.

Here's a link to compare your spent brass for measurements to help with determining the chamber: http://www.ar15barrels.com/data/223vs556.pdf

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:06 pm

I should be ok with either brass/ammo, my RRA NM 223 has a Wylde chamber that can accept both. I was concerned if this was a practical way to go, using 5.56mm to reload with, as opposed to 223?
thanks, haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:14 pm

As long as you stay within the SAAMI limits for loading your cartridges and don't push the high end of the loads you should be fine with either cartridge. They are very close in size but the thicker walls of the NATO cases can cause overpressure in a standard .223 Remington chamber.

Try to use the same case lots during range sessions for accuracy with your loads. A mix of cases can cause unacceptable variations if your striving for accuracy.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Here's a link to the same question I posted on the AR-15 Forum earlier today, with some very interesting thoughs on the subject,
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=331915
thanks , Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:08 am

In essence, it is the commercial loads that make the difference pressure-wise. Keeping your handloads within specs both, OAL rim and capacity, should cause you no issues. Once you fire the brass through your rifle it will fire-form to the dimensions of your chamber. Once formed the brass will function perfectly, regardless of origin, as long as you check the overall case length after resizing.

One of the things I didn't see in all those postings was that commercial/factory (mil-spec) ammo has a lacquer sealant inside the case mouth and primer pocket to prevent moisture penetration into the case under battle conditions. This lacquer sealant can also affect cup pressure because the internal case pressure has to overcome the bullet crimp and the sealant to release the projectile. If you've ever pulled a military bullet then you know what I mean, those bullets take far more force to remove than standard (civilian) commercial ammo. I've made plenty of "Mexican Match" ammo over the years for practice to see this effect.

Military brass is made to heavier specifications and the primer pockets are crimped because the ammo has a dual purpose, it has to be hotter to run through automatic weapons with minimal failures in battle. This same thing is not true of commercial civilian ammo.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks B.E. , good info.
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Bullseye, Very good point between military and civilian ammo. Like you said once fired and the brass is processed all is equal. I know some of the sealant and mil crimp use on primers can make it very hard to process. I ran across one that my primer pin pushed all the way through the primer.

Hakaman, I read the post on the ar15 forum, some are very strongly opinionated.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:45 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Hakaman, I read the post on the ar15 forum, some are very strongly opinionated.
That my friend is one of the differences between the GTOL shooting community and many of the others on the Net.

I know a thing or two about a thing or two but I also know that in some areas I may not have the most technical knowledge available; when I do run across one of those areas I simply choose to not comment.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Thank you for running a very friendly forum Bullseye.

In my older age I seam to stay away from forums like that one. I like the slower more friendly feeling....... I've also learned that if you treat people with respect it goes a long ways in getting help.
I know a thing or two about a thing or two but I also know that in some areas I may not have the most technical knowledge available; when I do run across one of those areas I simply choose to not comment.
Yes, We get wiser as we get older too.....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:24 pm

In my older age I seam to stay away from forums like that one. I like the slower more friendly feeling....... I've also learned that if you treat people with respect it goes a long ways in getting help.
The internet is a funny(strange) place. I liken it to driving a car, somewhat, people can act a certain way(foolish, rude, egotistical, etc) and not have to face up to it. I just take people with a grain of salt, so to speak, and just try to sort out the truth from the b.s. There was some very good info from my post, and there were some who, well, dished out the b.s. Bottom line is that I learned something from some of those posts that helps me out. I will definitely agree with you blue, that's one of the reasons I like this forum, the "easy going simplicity" of GTOL. I also trust what people say here, and I sense some very good experience to back it up!
Merry Christmas,
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:18 am

Speaking of experience, can you imagine the years of experience OM and Greener have between them??? Get out the calculator.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:24 am

Greener only got back into shooting "little" guns within the last 5-6 years, before that he thought real guns needed to be towed or self propelled. :shock:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:32 am

The Greener I think still believes in that theory and the real ones require the projectile and powder charge bags are loaded separately. I am am still amazed by fixed ammo.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 am

Bearandoldman wrote:I am am still amazed by fixed ammo.
I think the "oldman" is just happy he no longer has to bite the head off of the paper cartridge and pour the contents down the muzzle of the barrel. :D

R,
Bullseye