Lowering the MkII mag to fix stovepipe jams

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Lowering the MkII mag to fix stovepipe jams

Post by Hardball » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:39 am

Dr Bullseye
I understand the lowering of the magazine as directed on your troubleshooting page. My question is doesn't the rim become lower to the bolt face and maybe hinder a good pickup of the next round?

Elsewhere there is a site promoting sloping the leading edge of the rear mag lips. Do you have any opinion on this procedure?

Thanks
Hardball

High Standards - I can fix. Still learning on Ruger.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:39 am

Hardball,

Lowering the magazine height is recommended only for those pistols that have the feedlips less than 1/16th inch from the ejector. In this case the empty cartridge strikes the curved side of the magazine's rear feedlip on the backstroke and is subsequently dislodged from the bolt face causing a double-feed or stovepipe jam.

If for some reason the spent case is striking the leading feedlip, then curving or lowering the front is a logical remedy. Typically the front feedlips are spread wide enough apart that the case rim cannot touch the front lip on the backstroke and this type of remedy would not cure an ejection problem. However most of the feeding (Chamber insertion) associated failures may be remedied by spreading out the front feedlips or by curving them. This will slightly change the angle that the new cartridge is placed at by the magazine and could enhance the loading cycle.

Lowering the magazine is only recommended for mags that are too high. Therefore if the magazine is lowered enough to allow for the 1/16th inch gap, there will be no "override" effect on the case sitting slightly lower in the magazine because the lowered case rim is positioned where the pistol was originally designed for it to sit.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Good news on Ruger ejection

Post by Hardball » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:48 pm

I did not lower the magazine. I put in a Volquartsen extractor and eased the point on the front of the rear lips. So far not one jam with 5 different SV ammos. The original extractor was not holding the case tight to the bolt face. So far so good.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:03 am

Replacing the extractor likely fixed the problem. A loose case on the bolt face is prone to coming off the hook. Relieving the rear feel lip probably didn't hurt, but one has to be careful or you could change the magazine's release point. A timing change like that could allow the case to pop free of the magazine before the hook has a chance to capture it and create a new type of feed jam.

On a side note - your E-mail address keeps bouncing as invalid and is filling my mailbox with error messages. Please revalidate your E-mail address with a proper active address or I will be forced to deactivate your Guntalk forum account.

Thanks.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Now back to business.
I just barely relieved the rear lips leading corner. No timing change at all. Still the mag is riding high. The ejector has almost no gap above the rear lips. But it is working. I pushed an empty out the chamber with a rod from the front and no mag interferance showed. If the round does sag, the rounded mag lip corners should let it slide back up. I theory, anyway. That Volquartsen hook holds the rim tight!

It appears the "timing" on Rugers is not quite the same issue as on High Standrads. There you have to let the rim pop out before the round binds going into the chamber. There is a certain measurement range for that to happen.

Hardball