Erma LA22

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

xtratoy

Erma LA22

Post by xtratoy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:03 am

I am trying to fix an old Erma LA22 22 pistol for my Father-in-law. It appears that the sear is broken and I am trying to locate a correct sear. The main body of the sear is round and the part that catches the firing pin is flat.I have seen two different sear listed @ bobs gun parts http://www.gun-parts.com/erma/ .
One is listed as a flat type and one is listed as a round type. The sear shown in the schematic appears to be a fully round cylinder and the one in my F.I.L's gun is machined flat where it contacts the firing pin. Any Erma experts here that can shed some light on this? I am also wondering if anyone knows of any other company that may have parts for the gun. [email protected].

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:40 am

Are you sure you're looking at the right part on the schematic? The sear I see depicted is part #3, which is a flat metal part with two round pins on one side. It attaches to the sear housing body (#2) via the two pins.

R,
Bullseye

xtratoy

Post by xtratoy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:22 am

I'm not really sure Bullseye. The part that is broken is part#5 but it has a flattened hook the engages the firing fin.I have seen that part looking both round and with a flattened hook in different schematics. The schematic at http://www.gun-parts.com/erma/ is actually showing an Erma EP22. I contacted http://www.leesgunparts.com/ this morning and talked to the salesman on the phone about the correct part I needed. He assured me that he had the correct sear for a LA22 and I ordered the part. Hopefully he understood what I was taking about.
I just took the gun completely apart and the sear in the LA22 is round with a flattened hook to catch the firing pin and it has one pin in it. It looks like what the guy at Lee's was describing.
The different models have completely different mechanisms to actuate the firing pin.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Lee knows his inventory very well and what fits. I have dealt with him in the past, he ships promptly too. But being open 3 days a week and getting through can be hard it times.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Hopefully the right part will arrive to fix your Erma. If the gent on the phone knew which part you were referring to then you're likely to get the correct one.

R,
Bullseye

xtratoy

Post by xtratoy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:13 pm

I called him back after reading your post and after I removed the sear from the gun and verified that we were talking about the same part. Thanks for making me double check!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 am

It's tough getting the right parts when you don't have the correct schematic diagram to compare the models. Sounds like some good customer service on the part of the supplier.

R,
Bullseye