DA revolver ejector rod straightness?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

DA revolver ejector rod straightness?

Post by ruger22 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 am

Picked up a complete cylinder assembly for my Sentinel for $12. Cheap because the cylinder has a lot of surface rust. I bought it for the other parts anyway, as many of them are sold out on Numrich.

Once taken apart, all the other pieces are fine, except the ejector rod was noticeably bent. After a lot of eyeballing and study, and a few well-placed bumps with a nylon hammer, I've got it pretty good.

Checking it several different ways, at most I've got a 1/32 wobble. That's by checking it in a masonry drill that can swallow half the rod. I tried that with different amounts of rod chucked. I've tried rolling it on a sheet of glass, and don't see any discernable wobble. May be the drill chuck has a 1/32 wobble........Installed in the cylinder, with the crane, it seems straighter than the rod that's in my Sentinel...... :) ...

The cylinder spins smoothly, and the ejector pushes smooth. Any reason I should try for getting it any better?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:13 am

As long as it's working and not binding your good to go.

A lot of drill bits are bent particularly the cheap ones. Some times the chucks do not center the bits as they should too. I always put them in lightly and spin before tightening the chuck.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Yep, hand drills aren't very precise. Just one way I had to spin it. I trust rolling it on glass much better. I have a thick piece of tempered glass I saved from a display at an old job. Makes a good substitute for a surface plate.

I'm satisfied that the ejector rod is straighter than it needs to be. I'm storing it in a piece of ABS tubing to protect that.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols