Job problem suggestions?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Job problem suggestions?

Post by ruger22 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I thought I might get a wise opinion or two here, and I'll keep it as short as I can.

For the last eleven years, I've driven a local transit bus, what some call the "city bus". Our basic routes are 23 years old, with little change. You can imagine what traffic has done in 23 years, plus there is a new trend to time traffic lights so you hit them all red, there are more bus riders, etc..

We bus drivers are flying to meet the schedules. Ten and fifteen over the limit in places, running yellow lights, doing nano second stop signs, etc. No one will stick together as a group and start being legal and safe. Too many afraid to risk their jobs. Just a few of us would get lectured, and eventually fired. Complaints to managers are smirked at, they say we're just typical employee gripers. I don't believe they are so ignorant of what's going on. It has to involve politics, or their bottom line.

I've taken it on myself over the last year plus, to write letters. Federal agencies referred me to the state, since we don't cross state lines. The state, including the state police and the AG's office, passed the buck to the local officials. So I wrote the city manager, the chief of police, the mayor. Some city officials are on the bus company's board of directors, and they all got a letter. Nothing has happened.

I did write most of these letters anonymously, but identified myself as a driver. I did give my full identity to the Attorney General's office, in trust. Our employment contract includes a clause that public criticism is cause for instant dismissal. Cute, huh? A simple two minute interview with each of a handful of drivers would confirm my "accusations", as I said in my letters. No one seems to care.

I have a lot invested in this job. I make good pay for the area, and have good vacation and decent benefits. That won't count for much if a driver hurts or kills a number of people, as I'm afraid of eventually. We have to have one very tired bunch of guardian angels.

Anyone been in or know of a similar situation? Is it possible for me to sue my employer for requiring me to break the law in performance of my job?

Quitting is a huge risk in this bad economy. I'd rather fix what's wrong and keep the job. A whole new company running things would be an improvement. The current bosses are a joke.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm

That a hard spot to be in.

I would see if you could get some one up the latter to ride with you and other showing for a week. During that time they could see first hand on what drivers are facing, then ask if it's possible to stretch the time table a little to accommodate for current traffic condition.

Then show how it would actually help with riders in meeting their time schedule. What good is a schedule that puts you 15 min for meeting?

Another approach would be maybe get a local news person to cover public transportation showing weakness in the scheduling. But make sure thy ride maybe a different bus every day so the will get a better overall view. Start this by have someone complaining to the news media and let them do the investigation.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:09 pm

I appreciate the thoughts. Things used to be better, but several higher people retired or left, and the ones that moved up just aren't nearly as competent.

Current management is "convinced" any delays are our fault, that we're late leaving stops (of course we are, we're late getting to them!), or goofing off. Yeah right, sometimes it's impossible to even make the restroom for two hours or more. News media is biased, always supports municipal things, never critical.

It's a miserable situation. It will be like things all too often are. Something really bad will happen, then everyone will suddenly have 20/20 hindsight on what should have been done.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 18, 2011 4:36 pm

That is unfortunately the way of the government. The incompetent get promoted to move them out of the way.

R,
Bullseye

TH3180

Post by TH3180 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:11 pm

blue68f100 wrote:

Another approach would be maybe get a local news person to cover public transportation showing weakness in the scheduling. But make sure thy ride maybe a different bus every day so the will get a better overall view. Start this by have someone complaining to the news media and let them do the investigation.
Yup have the news do an under cover story.
"Ballons make evryone feel better" My son Tyler while getting a ballon for his baby sister when she was in the hospital

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Bullseye wrote:That is unfortunately the way of the government. The incompetent get promoted to move them out of the way.

R,
Bullseye
This is a local government owned, but private operated setup. Everyone brown-noses their way up so far, and simple time seniority gets them farther up, not abiity. Too much government and business goes the same way.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP