Top Shot All Stars

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Top Shot All Stars

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 pm

If you haven't watched any of these new season shows, they are definitely worth viewing. I know I have really panned this show in the past but they've finally gotten the format right. No more "Survivor" team baloney, it is all skills based. No "Who's my buddy" elimination voting, shooters just compete in marksmanship and the two weakest shooters for the day go head-to-head for final elimination. I know some of the present contestants personally and this time they all belong on the field of competition together. If you want to watch some interesting shooting skills under varying conditions try watching this All Star series. I cannot speak for the host, he's still a tool but at least they've toned him, and his Captain Morgan poser stance, down.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 am

For those who miss it.

It comes on at 10:00PM EDT (9:00pm CDT) on the History channel.

I'm with you this is the way it should have always been. Weakest shooter goes home. No teams.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 am

I have watch all the prior seasons.. usually DVR'ing the shows so I can fast forward thru the clubhouse "drama" and the stupid 'nomination range' .. well the commercials, too.

So, the format this season is much more focused... no fake team dynamics drama. Really glad to see they brought Gabby back :D She really is a great shooter.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Streamed it online, saw about half of it. Yes, I like this format better. Was sorry to see Gunny Zins' issue with the FAL...again.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Seems as if many of the contestants are experiencing difficulty with their past Dragons. So much of shooting is a mental game that if your confidence is shaken it can be difficult to bounce back. Each who've wrestled with these past weapons that gave them fits has commented on how much they have gotten into their heads. Brian is a top notch highpower rifle shooter in addition to his pistol skills so experiencing difficulty with a long gun could be attributed to a perceived weakness in a past performance with that weapon.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Anyone who has won the National Matches once, let alone 11 times, knows how to deal with pressure. I know he's double distinguished at least, possibly triple.

I can't speak for shooting an FAL, never had one in my hands. But it had post & peep sights, just like the M14 and the M16. Go figure!

Al
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:01 am

He was definitely not comfortable with that gun. I remember the first time he shot the FAL, Brian was so confused that he activated the take-down lever instead of the safety catch and the weapon opened up on him in the beginning of his string. The 7.62 (.308) has a much stiffer recoil than the ARs do and on an unstable platform can cause a shooter to feel like they are about to flip over following through on a shot. Brian went out as a Distinguished Marksman (Rifle) with the M-14 but like me, that was some years ago. I'm not sure if he's triple Distinguished as he would have needed an International Level competition or Olympic medal for that. The last service person I recall that was Triple Distinguished was Bill Blankenship. Mastering both the rifle and pistol in competition takes quite a bit of practice. Both of these platforms have distinctively different operating techniques and courses of fire. This doesn't always hold true for everyone but generally competition pistol shooters can make the transition over to high powered rifles a lot easier than the mainly competition rifle shooters learning to shoot pistols well.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:51 am

Bullseye,
Don't forget the latest designation, Distinguished revolver.
Al

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:01 am

Triple Ds are listed on CMP site by a link
I see Makin amd Doc Young sometimes. I thought Reiter was Triple too. Maybe not. Almost ran into Vitarbo one time.
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Disti ... istory.pdf

To me NRA Distinguished Revolver is not quite the same as the CMP and International Ds. Although I do have points in Dist Revolver.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 am

I had forgotten about Jim Hill. He originally founded Creedmore Armory in Oceanside, Ca. and used to come to matches and sell Highpower shooting gear out of the back of his van. Just about every team had coats, mats, gloves, and stools made by him.

I also see that the CMP doesn't count Distinguished Revolver in their list for Triple Distinguished.

I see that I breathe rarefied air as a Double Distinguished shooter with only 1,200 total listed since the program began through 2010, when that list was last updated.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:21 am

"I also see that the CMP doesn't count Distinguished Revolver in their list for Triple Distinguished."

Now I know the reason I haven't been practicing with my model 19:) :)

I was not aware the CMP didn't recognize Dist Revolver in the mix.

Al

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 pm

I believe the reason is because the military doesn't distinguish between pistols and revolvers for handguns. The idea originally for the program was the promotion of marksmanship skills for enhancing the military forces use of small arms.

R,
Bullseye

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 am

Hardball;

Steve Reiter is triple distinguished.
The only one that I personally know and talk to quite frequently.
For his age he is still one heck of a bullseye shooter.
I know this cause I shoot next to him often.
The only one that I know better than Steve is John Zurek, but he is my age :)
Good luck to them all at Camp Perry.

Clarence
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 pm

"Steve Reiter is triple distinguished. "

Python
I thot so. I have met Reiter and Zurek both at my Oregon matches. Makin is local in Oregon. I watch them closely when shooting. Learned a lot.