Do you ration?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Do you ration?

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:10 pm

How's your shooting been going this year? do you see a decrease in your activities, or at the range? How much has the ammo hoarding affecting your shooting experience? I see less people at the range and rationing what they shoot.
Haka

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:34 pm

I've only done one range trip this year, in May. Then waited to see when things might improve. I have a good stock, but didn't know what to think about managing it. Now that it looks like my stock may not have to last the rest of my life, I'm hitting the range Saturday. I'll shoot my usual, 25-50 rounds of .38 and about 400 .22LR.

Over the last month I've bought 600 rounds of .22LR and two boxes of .38 at normal prices. Some wasn't my preferred brand, but still okay in my book.

I usually go once a month, except Nov.-Feb..
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Since I reload in the most part it has not impacted my shooting. I try to keep a 2yr stock of reloading components. I would have ordered replacement stock in Jan but held off since things were scarce and I have enough to carry me through it. I will have to order this fall though, 30k primers, bullets, 16lb of powder. It gets expensive but still cheaper than buying factory ammo.

Since I have my new custom 45acp I'm shooting it more and more. So I will have to adj my inventory when I reorder for this caliber. I use to only shoot 50 rounds/mo through my carry gun, UCII. Since it's an Al frame I did not want to wear it out. I'm averaging 50/week through my new custom and 100 9mm/week.

The only ammo I buy is 22LR which I'm still in good shape so I can ride this out.

When I was shooting this spring at the indoor range near my house, the ones shooting were ones who reloaded. The range was limiting ammo 2 boxes/caliber if you were buying their range ammo. The always seam to have it so they have a good stock.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:47 pm

I don't get out much as I used to but I cannot be sure if it is because of ammo shortages or just getting older. Put this together and haven't even gotten out to test it yet.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Nice looking b.e., great job, It appears to be a 22lr version. With the quad rail you could
mount a lot of stuff. Lasers, lights, etc.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 pm

It is a 10/22 with a Troy T-22 stock. I figured it would be good for Appleseed events since it has pop-up sights. I put some rail covers on it and a front sling rail mount. I may even take it out to some Ruger Rimfire matches with the dot on it. I should be able to smoke through those plates with that sighting system.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm

OK, you guys guilted me into going out and dropping some rounds today. I hadn't been out much since prepping for Perry. I did run some ammo through that T-22 stocked 10/22 and was very pleased with the feel of the whole package. I cut the hammer to give me a feel of a clean breaking two-stage service rifle trigger. This one's going to do just fine for Appleseed events. I was shooting dime sized holes from the prone position at 25 yards with just some bulk Federal .22. When I ran some match ammo thought it the zero barely changed, not even enough worth making a sight correction. Definitely pleased with that one.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 am

Definitely shooting less this year so far - and not as much 22, because I can replace centerfire.

Ammo sucks, my schedule is packed, and to a degree I'm set for defensive hardware. I'm annoyed that I can't do pin matches so far this year, maybe in fall I'll have time, pin ammo is limited, I'll have to work something out with a reloader to trade brass for some pin-tailored ammo

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Hakaman wrote:Nice looking b.e., great job, It appears to be a 22lr version. With the quad rail you could
Haka
All-weather radar, DirecTV, uplink to the Space Station.......... :roll:
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:27 am

ruger22 wrote:
Hakaman wrote:Nice looking b.e., great job, It appears to be a 22lr version. With the quad rail you could
Haka
All-weather radar, DirecTV, uplink to the Space Station.......... :roll:
Coffee grinder, lawnmower pull-start cord, left-handed bottle opener, tire iron, iPhone holder, flare launcher, note from Mother about why we can't make it to the range today

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:53 pm

No range today, rain again. The weathermen, in their infinite lack of skill, screwed up again. Two days ago, today was to be pretty nice, and rain would move in Sunday afternoon. Today's weather became Sunday's, and Sunday will still be very wet.

This is the third time in a row a weather forecast had me counting on a range trip, that didn't hold true. They can't even forecast 48 hours right anymore.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Shooting less this year, but not really due to ammo. I'm closing in on completing my degree in mechanical engineering. The courses got really tough, so I've been spending most of my range time studying for exams :cry: .

If time weren't an issue, my .22LR usage would have definitely taken a huge hit. In day's not so long passed, I would go out and shoot 300 or 400 rounds of .22LR per range session. There's no way I could sustain that nowadays. In fact, in the last 7 months, I've only seen .22LR available one time in my area! Although, I honestly haven't been looking other than popping by the ammo section when I'm at a store that happens to have one.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:37 pm

I can’t say that my shooting has taken a hit because I shoot just about every weekend at the property, in either rifle or pistol. But I have curtailed 22lr and 22mag ammo use because I don’t want to shoot up what I have at hand until I see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. I took a different direction at this rimfire problem. As you know I’ve recently gotten into reduced 223 loads since I can reload them for less than I can buy 22lr, about 10-12 cents per round, not counting the brass because I have bucket loads of them.....and reduced loads sure don’t hurt them. They've all proven a pleasure to shoot and they surely don’t chew up my steel targets like FMJ 5.56s do, a win all around if you ask me. Today’s velocity readings suggest that 5-6 grains of 800X produce a bit higher velocities than the 50gr Fedaral 22mag, and with the plastic tip Vmax or Sierra’s soft points they sure pack a varmint wallop. 4gr is equivalent to 22lr, a very mild mannered load for my bull barreled Savage.
gcp

Courageous we stand!