Open Carry in Texas a Go

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Open Carry in Texas a Go

Post by charlesb » Sun May 31, 2015 9:44 am

So, it looks like open carry in Texas is a done deal, now.

If you have a concealed-carry license, you have the option of open carry. The general consensus though is that most will stick to concealed carry, but not worry about it if some little old lady sees your rig while you are reaching for your wallet, etc..

Now the constitutional carry activists can get started. With constitutional carry, if it's legal for you to own a firearm, then you don't have to ask anybody or pay any fees in order to carry.

The drawback on constitutional carry that I see is that it eliminates the brief instruction that a CC license entails. It's not much instruction, but it's a lot better than none at all.

So, I'm conflicted about the constitutional carry issue.

Some compromise, where you don't have to submit to a bureaucratic underwear check but still have to take a brief course on safety, and the legal issues involved in carry would suit me a bit better.

Nobody's asking my opinion though... They'll do whatever they wind up doing.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:49 pm

Most of the CCL courses I've taken is 90% legal stuff..... Which every one should know. Some states you apply and they just send it to you. Does not mean you could hit the broad side of barn though.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:41 am

VA will count one of several online classes as your CCW "training". All I needed was my 38 year old Army discharge. I never touched a handgun there. So "instruction" is already iffy.

I'm in favor of constitutional carry. Then if you're traveling (especially long-haul truckers) or move to another state, you're good. I'd like to see the state gun laws gone, and add national carry to the the federal. If you're legal to own one, that should be enough. California is especially ridiculous; New Jersey, New York, lots of states treating us like criminals or idiots before the fact.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Man, there are too many laws concerning carry. I agree, there should be just
blanket laws for the entire country. I don't know if I would holster up my S&W
.357 6" for open carry or not, but it sure would be tempting. Although, the long
barreled Ruger single action in my avatar would look cool.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm still looking at single action army clones, leaning toward the EMF 'Alchemista II' in .357 mag with 4 3/4" barrel, or the Cimmaron model P in 32-20 with the 5 1/2" barrel.

I'm so undecided on these two that I may have to get both. The Alchemista II is a much nicer gun, but then again, I've always wanted a SAA in 32-20, which should be good for cheap plinking, and really superior for small game. I can probably tune up a Cimmaron model P to be almost as nice as the Alchemista II.

I'm thinking a shoulder holster might be best for me, but not a cheap one. My past experience with shoulder holsters is that you really do get what you pay for. The only time I've been reasonably comfortable was with a good one.

One year I carried a 6" Colt Trooper Mk III in a nice shoulder rig on a deer hunt, and that worked out well. Once I carried a Walther PP with a cheap shoulder rig that I thought was going to eat me alive. - The wrong shoulder holster can be quite uncomfortable.

I'm not a fan of belt holsters for big revolvers because of the trouble sitting down with them, and the seat-belt buckle in a car always seems to be an issue.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:11 am

Years ago a good friend in Michigan moved to Texas and he was really excited about Texas' gun laws and how far advanced they were. I think he even bought a new Glock to celebrate becoming Texas legal. I know he would have been happy with this advance.

Virginia is constitutional carry. If you can legally own the handgun, you can open carry without a CHP. You need a CHP to open carry into the State Legislature. Virginia also has state pre-emption so localities can't decide to have different open carry ordinances and you pretty well know when and where you can OC.

North Carolina was pretty liberal on constitutional carry and it was easier to strap the revolver than worry about it getting stolen from the car when I lived there. But that was 40+ years ago. Now I think it has a patchwork of where you can carry, which makes it very difficult.