Colt Industries

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Colt Industries

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:51 pm

I read on Fox news that Colt Industries is bankrupt, and for sale.
Bummer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Not the first bankruptcy filing for Colt, they'll get though it just fine. A little restructuring isn't bad for these large companies. They have to work smarter or they will go the way of the dinosaurs.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:49 am

I've been dubious about Colt for some time. They have dropped most of the models that they were famous for, and have exclusive rights to build - in favor of two models (1911 and AR-15) that everybody and his dog is manufacturing - cheaper and in many cases, better.

The Trooper MkIII, the Python and Diamondback, the Cobra, the Detectives Special and a few others are pricey collectors items now.

The heavy dependance upon government contracts that they developed set them up for a fall. "Make a lot of money now, go out of business later".

Assuming they do come out the other end of the bankruptcy still in business, what will they do? - Continue to produce 1911's and AR15's to the exclusion of just about everything else?

If so, it's hard to see the point, there.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:48 pm

If the decisions are left to the beancounters and lawyers, Colt is gone.

They need to modernize, and go back to the classics. They are way behind on innovation; most other makers have already "been there, done that". The problem as usual, is with the investors. New machinery and processes payoff long term, but investors want money NOW.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:29 am

charlesb wrote:I've been dubious about Colt for some time. They have dropped most of the models that they were famous for, and have exclusive rights to build - in favor of two models (1911 and AR-15) that everybody and his dog is manufacturing - cheaper and in many cases, better.

The Trooper MkIII, the Python and Diamondback, the Cobra, the Detectives Special and a few others are pricey collectors items now.

The heavy dependance upon government contracts that they developed set them up for a fall. "Make a lot of money now, go out of business later".

Assuming they do come out the other end of the bankruptcy still in business, what will they do? - Continue to produce 1911's and AR15's to the exclusion of just about everything else?

If so, it's hard to see the point, there.
The revolvers would have ended up on the high end. Probably worth the price, but a more limited market. I seem to remember seeing the Colt name on some lower end stuff like .22's and the like.

Although Colt made excellent handguns, how much of the value is from legend?

I have a Trooper MKIII. Very nice shooting revolver. Bought it for under $300 a few years ago. I've seen them for about a grand at gun shows. I suppose if someone wanted to give me 3-4 times what I paid for it, I might part with it.