Still hanging on

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Still hanging on

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:28 pm

If it wasn't for this at the bottom of the page:

Who is online
In total there are 14 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)

I'd think ol' GTO was about dead. Seems like the new format started (which is nicer than the old one) and posting just about stopped. Right now there are supposedly 14 people on here. I wish they would post something, even if it is just a "howdy". At least they are, hopefully, finding useful information. I miss the more active times..... :D
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Still hanging on

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:31 pm

ere, just getting older
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 am

Most of the guests that are showing up on the board are web crawlers, bots, and spiders that are indexing the site for search purposes. My software doesn't distinguish these things from real people when comprising the analytics for the website. Yeah, the traffic has slowed to a crawl over the last year or so, but mostly that really compounded itself back when I cut off new user registrations. I was only getting a legitimate new user request about once every three months, which meant I was having to sort through fifty or sixty bogus registrations per day trying to find that one new registrant. That's a lot of administrative time compared to the volume of traffic the discussion board was generating.

This isn't the only place where the traffic as slowed, I've noticed it on many of the other shooting related discussion forums too. I guess people have just migrated over toward different interests. While the traffic on this board has slowed significantly my web-help maintenance pages still get a significant amount of traffic.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 pm

It's good that people are hunting info. Some of the information here is absolutely priceless. Everyone here was a big help to me more than once. We all appreciate your expertise, that's for sure.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am

With most of getting older I've slowed down for sure. A few other boards I visit are very slow too. Maybe 1 post a week. For me I've been busy in my new shop. Finished up a barrel for my AR and been testing it out. I've had to tweak the chamber free bore in order for some of my ammo to chamber. I think this is due to a very tight/small lands. I had to use a 0.2182" bushing instead of the std 0.2185". But the new barrel is shooting good. My Kreiger barrel came in last week too. I'm saving it for when I shoot out my other match barrel AR.

Then there's the hogs that have started rutting up my yard. It got real bad last week showed up 3days in a row. My neighbor went out hunting them 2 days last week and took out 9 total, and his son took out a 400# bore. Then I get work an alert after I went to bed that something was down at the feeder. Sure enough 2 hogs were there. So I got the 458 SOCOM ready and took one sow out, the only shot I had. Used the ATN Night Vision scope but only used the IR's that the cameras use. This gives me 2 I've taken down by the feeder. I had one trapped a couple of weeks ago and it either climbed out or jumped over the 5' panels. So I have to put a top on it before I set it again.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:49 am

I'm sure that folks have a lot more to occupy their time now instead of entertaining themselves by frequenting the discussion forums like the old days. Facebook and their stupid cat videos seem to be trending more these days.

You should set up some trail cameras and get a better perspective on how bad your hog problem really is down there on the farm. It may be time to "thin the herd" a bit more than you anticipated. Hogs are very prolific, and the ones you and your neighbor have taken recently is only about one sow's litter-worth, unfortunately that's kind of like removing a cup of water from the ocean. Those wild hogs can do some terrific damage to the land.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 am

They are bad every where in Texas. All you need to do is look at all the agriculture land they tear up on a regular basis. They do not stay in one area very long as they are constantly moving. They cover a lot of ground, 2-3 miles. There is shooting around me every night. My neighbor has an FLIR setup on his 300BO that he uses. They will drive around the fields looking of them at night. With the FLIR he does not give them any indications that they are getting ready to be shot at. He's done this for so long he normally gets 4+ out of a group of 8. His 12 yr old son shot a 400# bore last week on one of their outings. I have video cameras setup around my feeder, so I'm alerted any times something comes in. Coons have been more of a problem for me than the hogs have.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:22 am

FLIR can really make a difference when trying to observe wildlife in dark conditions. I have used it extensively in the past. Bunnies out in the distance look like little torches in "White Hot Mode". I recall the resolution of the system I was using was very sensitive and I could see the Jacks long ears twitching around. Hogs would be easy to spot at night using one of those devices.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm still here old friends! Not as active but here non-the-less :guns:
gcp

Courageous we stand!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm

me still here also but not too active
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:42 pm

I check here 2-3 times a week. I sure miss the old activity, but glad everyone is still apparently okay.

I'm on Gunner Forum, which is fairly active and a good bunch of people. I'm grudgingly on Rimfire Central, which is too active. Plus it's a bit overloaded with know-it-alls, and folks who think a 10/22 is a piece of junk unless rebuilt with aftermarket parts. Oh, well. I read the two Ruger forums sometimes, but those guys are just too snobby for me to join in.