REYNARD THE CO FOX

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

REYNARD THE CO FOX

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:52 am

REYNARD THE CO FOX

Hey, guys--

Look what I brought back fm CO!!!

These pitchers might make you hear dawgs barking and bugles blowing!...

I visited my cyberneighbor Otter Bob at his New Independence Forum and found him skinning this fox. He got the varmint as it was waiting by his chicken coop in his CO Homestead. Anyway, I'll just let you read about how he got Bre'r Fox.
otterbob wrote:Here is a knife I forged for my wife back in the late summer of 2007
{ looks like I use it more then she does. }

I like a blade thin in thickness, a full tang, a drop point, and high carbon steel.

I forged the knife from a piece of automotive coil spring, it will take an edge sharp enough to skin the tail, hold the edge long enough to finish a skinning job, and still be sharp enough to do the butchering if needed.

Otter Bob

otterbob wrote:[
First things first!. it is not a "Yote" it is a Red fox, I did not take pictures of the yote I whacked last year.

This red fox was setting by the chicken pen when I was letting them out last November about noon , I ran into the house and grabbed my trusty open sight winchester 69A bolt action 22lr and went around the out-buildings, the other direction so I would see him on the other side , I was out of breath when I got there and he was trotting off at about 40 yards, so to slow him down I shot him in the shoulder, when he got up to "TRY" to run he looked at me and thats when I took the head shot!
As mentioned on the progun forum my 69A is always loaded with Five rounds of Remington Vipers. Those solid vipers have a great take down "WHACK" .

For a yote I grab my 22 mag with v-max loads, although the viper will kill um I has to be a head shot and I always choose a body shot to slow a critter for a better 2nd shot, with the 22 mag v-max a second shot is rarely needed, as it will punch into the heart and out the other side most of the time.

Yes, you can right click and save the pics for posting on the progun forum, also if Joel would like to sign-in over here and wants me to list the forum in the members web-sites area I would be happy to do so.

I posted the fox pics so everyone could get a better idea of the amount of work that little knife will do before touching up the edge.
Notice the tail on the skinned carcass, I did not "Strip-it", I carefully slit it all the way to the end through all the hair. It takes a sharp tipped knife and a lot of time to do that.

Otter Bob
http://www.help-build-a-community.com/p ... p=267#p267
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate