I'm having computer issues

The place to read Website news and special announcements.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

I'm having computer issues

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Sorry folks, my main system had a fatal hard drive failure. Needless to say this has set me back on my forum maintenance. I'm using another one of my computers but I've had some struggles getting back onto the forum. I'm back now. Hopefully I won't have any more issues.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:11 am

Glad to have you back! Sorry to hear you lost one of your systems. I hope you didn't lose any important data.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks. I don't know right now if I have lost anything. I'm waiting for a new hard drive to arrive before attempting to recover the data. Hopefully not, but only time will tell.

R,
Bullseye

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:46 am

It's amazing how much we rely on our computers. I recently had a major issue with mine and had to take it to the PC doctor. I have it back now but am considering buying a backup just in case (or for when) I have problems again. Good luck on recovering your data.

Smokey

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:51 am

I hope that all goes well. I'll bet that knowing you there is a mother lode of excellent firearms information that needs to be preserved. Regards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:56 am

You got that right. I may have lost a lot of useful information. Time will tell if I can recover it. Fortunately, all my web based information is safe.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Scary part of computers is losing the electrons holding work you can't easily replace. I've gotten increasingly paranoid about that over the years. Back in the day I kept two sets of cards for programs and data. Years ago I blew the big bucks for a CD writer when both my backup tape sets failed, creating 9 months of work to recover 70% of what I had. In the days of digital photography I have tons of stuff I can't replace.

My computer has 4 drives (500 gb, 250 gb, 120 gb and 10 gb). I move my wife's genealogy files to my computer and critical stuff to hers (80 gb and 40 gb). I also have a 500 gb external that backs up daily and a second 500 gb external that is used to create monthly images of my main disk. The pics get rolled off onto DVD's every now and then.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48 am

After several attempts to recover data from the failed drive, it was looking grim for regaining my lost data. The old hard drive has bad sectors and seemed to be having temperature related issues too. Two different highly specialized recovery programs later, lots of patience, and I have been able to recover most of what I'd lost. Fortunately, my website database had good back-ups and the data server held ample info for running the various web sites. I've learned the hard way that making frequent back-ups is a must. Too bad I didn't learn that lesson a few weeks earlier.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Glad to hear you got most of your data back. I hope what you lost wasn't too important.

Just a few more years and solid-state drives will be standard, then we will all have less to worry about.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:33 pm

Bullseye wrote:After several attempts to recover data from the failed drive, it was looking grim for regaining my lost data. The old hard drive has bad sectors and seemed to be having temperature related issues too. Two different highly specialized recovery programs later, lots of patience, and I have been able to recover most of what I'd lost. Fortunately, my website database had good back-ups and the data server held ample info for running the various web sites. I've learned the hard way that making frequent back-ups is a must. Too bad I didn't learn that lesson a few weeks earlier.

R,
Bullseye
Old German proverb Vy it iz ve get too soon old and too late schmart???????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.