SOPA/PIPA please read

The place to read Website news and special announcements.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

SOPA/PIPA please read

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:31 pm

The below video is produced by a man named Salman Khan, he offers free educational lessons through his website (www.Khanacademy.org) via YouTube videos. This video that he has just produced is an explanation of the malicious intent of "Stop Online Piracy Act/Protect Intellectual Property Act" (SOPA/PIPA). The video is 11 minutes and a very good explanation by Mr. Khan.

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/sopa-a ... n%20Civics

The problem with the legislation SOPA/PIPA in short is that if any of you link to a website like YouTube, Wikipedia, Google images, ect, on GunTalk-Online.com (or any other website), and any of those linked websites are found to be supporting or directly engaging in copyright infringement, Bullseye's GunTalk-Online.com would also be considered to support the piracy, and the federal government would shutdown GTO and a legal battle would ensue. In addition, from the wording, it sounds that if Bullseye were to make threads on GTO only viewable by registered members, this could be considered making it difficult for authorities to confirm that GTO is indeed doing something illegal, in this instance GTO could be taken offline for breaking the law even though the attempt was just to regulate the usage of GTO by the general public. The legislation is a gigantic power grab, and is extremely dangerous to our freedoms here in the U.S. as well as the freedoms of our foreign friends.

I humbly ask all of you to please contact your Congressmen and women and tell them that you oppose SOPA/PIPA.

If you found this post too political in nature, I apologize. If any of the members of this forum are offended by this post, or Bullseye himself, Bullseye is obviously free to delete it. However, this is a major assault on our freedoms, so I humbly ask for your support.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 pm

I have been watching this legislation with an eye out for censorship. This proposal will have an impact on the free exchange of ideas on the internet if it gets made into a Law.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 pm

A big problem with these two bills is that at face value, they seem to be a good thing.

I'm all for protecting US citizens' intellectual property, but the problem is the bills were just so poorly drafted. I am not sure if they drafted it as such on purpose or not, but it gives way too much power to the federal government; especially considering that there are already measures that can be taken to protect US intellectual property from overseas piracy.