2nd Anniversary for Guntalk-online

The place to read Website news and special announcements.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

2nd Anniversary for Guntalk-online

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:16 am

Well I'm a little late with this but the second anniversary for this forum has come and gone (August 14th). And as I reflect upon the past two years I look back at all the great conversations that have gone on here. I realize how much this little forum has grown over the last few years and how I look forward to many more to come. You, the membership, make this a really great place and I'm extremely thankful that you all have chosen to stop by and join in.

Thank you all for another great year! I'm looking forward to the next one.

R,
Bullseye

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 am

And we should be thanking you Bullseye, for giving us a nice place to yap about our obsessions. Thanks! :)
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:39 am

Really,coesd not seem like that long but I guess time flies faster the older we get.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:22 am

Bullseye, my thanks to you for the great job you do with this web site. As far as I'm concerned, it's the most useful one on the web. I always get the help I need here and answers to my questions without all the garbage that's so prevalent on some of the other sites.
Thanks again,
R.

abutt1

Is thre Mark III the last word?

Post by abutt1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:59 am

Am a recent joiner to this form having shot rifle most of my life. Am now joining a local club for some serious pistol work.
I know this site is very strong on the Ruger. This will be my first pistol after many years. But is there any other pistol besides the Mk III I should look at as an option?
I live inConnecticut and my dealer has pointed out the values of buying a gun made in my own state, but there are so many guns out there. Would I be wasting my time? Or should I keep the Ruger "blinders" on?
Might I say I've learned more in the past few weeks on this site than I could ever learn any place else. Many thanks to the boss.
Allan

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Bullseye,

Many happy returns with the forum. Your expertise and time spent sharing it has helped me and many others over some bad bumps in the Ruger road.
It's hard to believe it has been two years. Time flies when you are having fun.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 pm

It's not all me, you guys should all be patting yourselves on the back right now, you make this forum work.

Abutt1 - It doesn't have to be just about Rugers. This forum's open to discussion for all types of firearms. Everyone has a specialty, Rugers just happen to be one of mine. What kind of shooting are you interested in trying? Maybe someone here is familiar with that discipline and can offer some good suggestions.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Is thre Mark III the last word?

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:29 pm

abutt1 wrote:is there any other pistol besides the Mk III I should look at as an option?
yes, the Ruger MK2. they are still 'out there',
and used does not mean worn, just checked-out.

2nd anniv: we are fortunate. we need to appreciate our little niche.
Thank you BullsEye.

aomiii

Post by aomiii » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:40 pm

Thanks for all that you and the Mods have done. It's because of this forum and the great dialogs from its members that allowed me to buy my MK III Hunter with confidence and 800 rounds later I like it and the Forum even more.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Birthday

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Thank you Bullseye for keeping the fever alive while MKII/III.org was having all those issues.

You site is quite professional and the troubleshooting info is exceptionally well done.

Keep up the great work!
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

abutt1

Post by abutt1 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:56 am

Bulls-Eye...The club I'm joining is very active in target shooting. I did well over the years in rifle, but that's not very popular anymore. The club has a lot of skilled shooters and I hope tp learn a lot from them. No question about Ruger's popularity in that mode of shooting. If I don't pass on before My permit comes through here in CT. I look forward to a Winter of competitive shooting.
Allan

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:47 am

I know how you feel, I enjoy shooting bullseye and smallbore rifle at my local indoor club. I stay active in Highpower rifle and especially enjoy shooting the service rifle in that method competition. I'm not big on shotgun shooting but I may try my hand again in shooting trap.

Enjoy your new club. Your fellow members will take you in with open arms and gladly assist in improving your technique. Shooters are one group where they happily help others to learn how to play the game. Not many other sports can lay claim this trait, too many elitists in most sports.

R,
Bullseye

abutt1

Post by abutt1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:09 am

When I asked my daughter about home defence, her first reponse was a shotgun. She was Pan-Am women's champion in sporting clays several years ago. He husband was on the America sporting clays Olympic team in the last winter Olympics. As you can see, they would lean toward shotguns. You might have heard of them. Bernie and Leigh Leighton. They live in NY state.
For home defense, I just can't see a shotgun propped in the corner. Wish the permit didn't take so long to get. Am anxious to get going.
Allan

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:40 am

As home defense goes, I'd say a shotgun is likely one the best choices. It doesn't take precise aiming, relatively little practice and you can be proficient with it, most people can activate it for loading/unloading with little or weak hand strength. 00 Buck shot would be a good choice for a defense load. You couldn't do very well with birdshot, just anger the attacker at any range much beyond point-blank.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:44 am

Bullseye wrote:As home defense goes, I'd say a shotgun is likely one the best choices. It doesn't take precise aiming, relatively little practice and you can be proficient with it, most people can activate it for loading/unloading with little or weak hand strength. 00 Buck shot would be a good choice for a defense load. You couldn't do very well with birdshot, just anger the attacker at any range much beyond point-blank.

R,
Bullseye
I'd add a couple of caveats to the choice of a shotgun for home defense. It needs to be minimum barrel length, maximum magazine capacity and open bore. At the distance you're likely to engage an intruder in your house, say 20 feet or so, the spread of that 00 buck is not going to be too great so you still have to be pretty well on target if you're going to take him down. The other problem I have with a shotgun is that it's a two-handed weapon so unless you have a tactical light attached to it, it's going to be hard to light up your target. Having said that, however, if you put that load of 00 buck into the bad guy, center mass, he won't get back up to bother you any longer! I still feel more comfortable with my .45 in one hand and my tactical flashlight in the other when things go bump in the night.