Small primer .45 ACP brass

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Small primer .45 ACP brass

Post by Yleefox » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Have any of you tried reloading the Federal and/or Blazer .45 acp brass with the small primers?

Y

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri May 27, 2011 1:17 am

I have not tried reloading them. I have been wanting to make this same topic for months...

Does anyone know why these manufacturers choose to prime their .45acp brass with small primers?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 am

They have been showing up for some time now. I have run a cross them in CCI and Starline too. I have not heard if they are only in defensive loads. As for reloading them, most I know cull and throw them in a can for a later day. They can really mess you up if you run into these on a AP press. Running into them on a std single stage press can cause you problems just as well. I have read reports that they produce a slightly slower round, approx 40fps slower. So if your shooting min PF beware. The flash holes measure the same so it may be a cost saving thing, but I don't see how. The primers normally cost the same. Unless they are going to try to convert all LP to SP. Someone on another forum thought they were using the new primer compound (low flash, lead free) in them, which may only be available in SP, I don't know. If this is the case they will have a shelf life.

For now I'm just collecting them.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

sm primer pockets

Post by stork » Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm

At first I just threw them away so as not to grab one when loading on my progressives.

Then, I think on Bullseye List, someone thought of the idea of using them for hardball (EIC) matches where you don't usually retrieve all your brass. The loading data is the same wether small or large primers are used.

Since then I've been saving them, but haven't loaded any. Intend to, but haven't needed to as I haven't been to CP since 2009.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington