Light Strikes. Primers?

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 pm

hmmm... the adjuster screw on the load master makes a lot of sense now...

I would think 15k is a low estimate for a round count on your press.....

what is the cost of the rebuild/ repar? might be worth it unless Its the prrice of a new press then it might be upgrade time.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:10 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:hmmm... the adjuster screw on the load master makes a lot of sense now...

I would think 15k is a low estimate for a round count on your press.....

what is the cost of the rebuild/ repar? might be worth it unless Its the prrice of a new press then it might be upgrade time.
If I've averaged shooting 100 rounds/week for 4-5 years, maybe 20k-25k. I guess I could go to the log and do some arithmetic.

The base is $15 plus shipping if I don't send mine back, then it's $7.50. I'll probably order the base and use the old with shim for a short while.

Coke can shim is free.

Been thinking about upgrading and looked at the Load Master last night but the Pro 1000 has been a pretty dependable press.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 pm

how did I know you would have a log? you log everything! must be the Chemist in you. or your OCD

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Your shooting enough to move to a Progressive or Auto Progressive press.

The turrets do not save you much time over a single stage.

Most people who reload have logs, and most shooters keep round count to know when it's time to replace springs in auto's.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Your shooting enough to move to a Progressive or Auto Progressive press.

The turrets do not save you much time over a single stage.

Most people who reload have logs, and most shooters keep round count to know when it's time to replace springs in auto's.
the lee pro1k is a progressive... with auto index.

I go by the feel of a gun as to when to replace springs. it works better for me that way. I don't think round count has to be a hard and fast rule on spring replacement.... your mileage may vary of course

greener has kept a logbook in every vehicle he has ever owned (as far as I can remember) with mileage, gallons filled, date, price, etc... and alll other maintenance. I think his training as a chemist made him do it.

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:53 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
greener has kept a logbook in every vehicle he has ever owned (as far as I can remember) with mileage, gallons filled, date, price, etc... and alll other maintenance. I think his training as a chemist made him do it.
Probably started when I was the most dangerous thing in the Army inventory: an Artillery 2LT with a map and a radio. :lol:

I keep reloading records with occasional notes on how they worked just to jog my memory. I've never been able to force my list-o-mania into tracking rounds fired. If I were shooting competitively I'd probably be keeping detailed records and would be changing parts on some schedule. [/i]

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:24 pm

All of the reports on the Pro1000 is that you will work more on it than loading ammo. It apparently does not keep it settings and you have to constantly tweek on it. I have first hand experience on bullet feeder, for I tried to adapt it to my LNL with no luck. You will be better off with the Turret over the Pro1000.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:47 pm

The turret press looks pretty good if you aren't doing many rounds. As bgreene said, 4 strokes for one round would get tiresome if you were doing a large number.

I haven't had that many problems with the Pro 1000. I cussed it a bit because it doesn't feed winchester primers as well as it feeds CCI. It took me much to long to figure out that I needed to tap the primer tray on each stroke. The other one is the current problem which seems to be from wear. I don't think the problem has caused any problems until just recently. Now that I realize it might be giving me a problem, the fix is easy.

There are better presses than the Pro 1000. However, it's darned hard to beat for the price I paid.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Peobabbly have one in my shop before too lo ng.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:07 pm

I think the biggest issue with any progressive is the primer feed, the dillon 550b I started loading on had primer feed issues too.

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Got the base and other stuff from Lee today. They had offered to put all the stuff on the base if I sent mine to them. The only charge would be half price for the new base. Decided I didn't want to wait for them to do it. About 10 minutes into the change over process, I began to wish I had sent it to them. Everything was very tight. I ended up removing a stove bolt with a punch. Took relatively no time to get it back together. Different feel on reloading, which added some time for me to adjust, but the primer depths were 0.002"-0.004".

If it hadn't been for blue68f100's comment on seating depth, I wouldn't have had all this fun.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 am

It's all about the little details. :D
David

Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 am

blue68f100 wrote:All of the reports on the Pro1000 is that you will work more on it than loading ammo. It apparently does not keep it settings and you have to constantly tweek on it. I have first hand experience on bullet feeder, for I tried to adapt it to my LNL with no luck. You will be better off with the Turret over the Pro1000.
Actually, nothing to set on the Pro 1000 other than indexing the shell plate.

Starting loading .45ACP after I got the new base set up. Primer feed was a nightmare. Probably didn't properly feed 1/3 of the primers. Did all the adjusting and cleaning tricks I knew. Finally switched to the .38 special modules and the thing ran flawlessly. (I have a turret plate for dies and a carrier with shell plate and primer feed for each caliber so change overs are easier). I fought this problem before with Winchester primers, so I either have a lot of CCI primers it doesn't like, or I need to do some wholesale parts replacements. Wouldn't be fun if it were easy, I guess.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm not sure how, but I may have a shell plate that is interfering with primer feed.

As described in my last post I had feed problems with .45 ACP, but not .38 special on a different carrier. Today .45 colt on a different carrier allowed 175 rounds without problem. I even used the primers from the .45 ACP. I switched .45 Colt and .45 ACP shell plates and immediately started having problems with .45 ACP.

So now I have to figure out how a stainless steel shell plate could go bad sitting in storage for 3 months.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:00 pm

So now I have to figure out how a stainless steel shell plate could go bad sitting in storage for 3 months.
I would like to know how that happens too. :?

Since this is a new press, it may be that the shell plate is out of spec. With all press feed primer system the alignment and pickup settings are critical for trouble free operation.

Is the problem picking up the primer or inserting the primer into to brass? Is the primer carrier hitting the base as it feeds it up and in?
David

Custom Built 1911