AR-15 Complete Upper?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I found one for you semi local Haka....

http://www.armslist.com/posts/476058/mi ... el-22b7ce6
Wow, that's less expensive then brownells. I have my 10/22 to mess around with for OH, but I still would like to get an AR style 22lr. I am retired now, so I don't have as much spending cash. Still contemplating.
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Here's a look at my modified Ruger 10/22 (aka Ruger AR-14 & 1/2). What you see taped around the hand stock is a lead weight, the same lead weight used in an AR-15 buttstock. It's a weighty piece of lead. I taped it on carefully, with padding between, so as to not scratch the wood. What you can't see is the weight I put into the buttstock. I carefully drilled out a considerable portion of the buttstock and put lead in there. I am in the process of making that part permanent by applying epoxy resin to hold the weight in there. I will make it look nice so it won't detract from the rifle, at least not to me. Although it looks a little redneckishly, suprisingly, it has a similar feel to my AR-15, just a little lighter. While holding it offhand, I experience the same movements I encounter in the service rifle league. I am in the process also of making some targets that simulate what I would see in league shooting at 200 yds. I can see this being a big help to improving offhand shooting. It is about as difficult as league shooting.
I shot well over 100 rds off hand at other targets, at 50ft, then decided to shoot 20 rds, at a similar pace and format as I would in the league. After each shot I lowered the rifle to simulate reloading a single round, then raised the rifle into position again to shoot. One of my shots, about 15rds in, is the poor shot bottom left. I simply had a brain lapse. The black center of the target is similar to the entire scoring portion of the league target, in perception that is. The rest of the shots weren't bad, but the poorer ones are the low left shots. My poorer shots in league are usually low, and left. I'm not sure why I shoot low on offhand, but that is usually where the bad ones end up.
All and all, I feel this will help my offhand shooting, and it's fun in the process.
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I have since removed that ugly addition from my 10/22 and use a sandbag in it's place. I couldn't stand the looks and inconvenience of a weight taped onto the rifle. The sandbags are readily available at the range and offer about the same weight/feel as my AR. The taped on addition also go in the way of cleaning. I just hold the sandbag in my left hand(about 3lbs) and rest the rifle on it.
H

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:52 pm

you could always drop your 10/22 into an AR like Stock to get a similar feel for practice..... add some tech-sights and you are in business....

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 am

Looks like the Pro-Mag stock

Cool one at Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867542 ... etic-black

Good selection at what is becoming my favorite gun parts store, amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ting%2C171
for $75 or so you can convert your carbine stock to a tactical stock and always have the carbine stock.

Of course there is always the M&P 15-22.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:24 am

Why not just go with the Smith & Weaaon 15-22, all the controls are basically the xsame as the AAR.Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Hey OM, is the lower frame made of polymer or metal?

Hey are a couple I have my eyes on:

http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22a6a1f.htm

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
or this upper:
http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22b6a17.htm

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Polymer Haka. Gun functions fine an the accuraa cy really surprised me

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:49 pm

I hear good things about the SW AR22's, the only thing I was leery about was the weight of it. I am trying to get one that is somewhat comparable to my AR15, but then again is that a mistake? or should I enjoy a lighter AR? OM, is that how the rifle came from Smith?
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Hakaman wrote:I hear good things about the SW AR22's, the only thing I was leery about was the weight of it. I am trying to get one that is somewhat comparable to my AR15, but then again is that a mistake? or should I enjoy a lighter AR? OM, is that how the rifle came from Smith?
Haka
Yes gun is pretty much stock except for changing the hammer spring to get a little lighter trigger. Here are some3 better pcs. I tool off the iron sights and added a riser and a scope, also a 45 adapter ti use a holo sight for 20 for play shooting.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Is this your model OM, and what's the street price? Us retirees gotta watch our pennies.
Also, how is the fore stock for gripping, looks like it might be sharp edges on the hand?

Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Hakaman wrote:Is this your model OM, and what's the street price? Us retirees gotta watch our pennies.
Also, how is the fore stock for gripping, looks like it might be sharp edges on the hand?

Haka
I believe it is an #811030, just a plain old entry level gun, nothing special, but it works. Forearm may be a little sharp, never really paid any attention, but that can be smoothed out easily Bought it a couple years ago I believe for $449.00 AND TAX FROM THE LOCAL lgs.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 pm

The one Haka linked to was a Performance Center. MSRP and the Bud's Gun Shop price on the Standard are $499 and $419, respectively. I think they were running about $450 at the gun show today. Couple folks I know down in Virginia who have one really like the rifle.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 am

The rails are not too bad on the hand... And you can get covers to put over them to smooth things out a bit.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 pm

I've done a lot of talking about getting a 22lr ar, but still can't figure out what to buy.
The folks at CMMG said they're in the process of putting another 22lr ar on the market
in about a month or so, that they said will be a little more like a real ar in weight, barrel,
and quality parts. I think I'm going to wait and see what they put out.