Match vs Standard Primers

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Match vs Standard Primers

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Is there any size difference between Match and Standard pistol primers? As I was priming some 38sp's I noticed the Federal Match primers didn't seem to fit as snugly as the Winchester Standard primers. Maybe it's a manf thing? Just wondering what the reason is.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Match products mainly go though a tighter quality control process which provides greater reliability under competitive circumstances. Typically different manufacturers have varying specifications that they create their products under and likely this is what you're seeing for the fitment of these primers.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:46 am

Like Bullseye said, better QC. Which gives them a more consistent even burn. Nothing to gain using them unless your shooting bullesye at 50yrd and greater. Then you have to be a good enough shot to know and every thing else needs to be perfect. You mainly see them in Rifle ammo for the long range shooters.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:09 pm

I use the RCBS hand primer, and for the most part, it works very well.
Although I do get the priming ram 'indent' on most of my primers. I have
never noticed a problem with FTF's but wonder if anybody else have noticed this?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Your not keeping the brass seated in the shell holder the reason for it being off center. I only press prime.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:50 pm

i would say you are muscling the hand prime, sqeezing with too much pressure. any harder you will pop a primer.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:12 pm

i would say you are muscling the hand prime, sqeezing with too much pressure. any harder you will pop a primer.
When I bought the reloading kit, the hand primer came with a priming ram that was too short and wouldn't seat the primer to depth. I called them and asked for a new one and they sent me one that's a little too long, causing this problem. I'd rather it be a little longer then shorter, but it does create it's own problem. Maybe I'll try another call and see what they send me.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:02 pm

you kinda have to do it by feel. when you feel more resistance you are there. if its not seated deep enough the case usually won't slide out of the shell holder. I kind of like the hand prime better than a press prime because you can feel the primer seat in there better
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:18 pm

I went to the range with a friend to let him shoot my LCR with the ammo I loaded(in photo above). Without a hitch, they all fire perfectly. The primers in the photo didn't give any problems, and it seems like the primers can take a little abuse and still function as required. I will be a little more careful when priming, although I think a high primer is a real problem. I have had a few of them in the past so I would rather give them a little extra force when priming then not. My LCR is a very nice hg to shoot, and sure has some kick to it. I loaded these to about +p range, and the gun lets you know it. This revolver is very light and that's probably why. Just the same, it feels good to shoot. I would definitely recommend this revolver for a sd gun. When compared to my Kahr PM9, the Kahr has a little less kick, but I shoot both about the same good accuracy. Two great pocket guns.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 am

Ensuring that the shells are completely inside the shell case holder is important. Some of those primers show signs that they were partially seated while the case was not fully in the holder and the primer seating pin was off-center. High primers can cause functioning problems but an improperly seated case can cause primer detonation which is an occurrence you don't want to experience. Be sure to seat those primers with the case openings turned away from you with your hand primer for extra safety.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Bullseye wrote:Ensuring that the shells are completely inside the shell case holder is important. Some of those primers show signs that they were partially seated while the case was not fully in the holder and the primer seating pin was off-center. High primers can cause functioning problems but an improperly seated case can cause primer detonation which is an occurrence you don't want to experience. Be sure to seat those primers with the case openings turned away from you with your hand primer for extra safety.
R,
Bullseye
That's some good info, BE, safety is always a concern of mine. I will take your word for it, detonation while priming is not something I want to experience. I will take notice of where the case mouth is pointing when priming next time, as I am pretty sure it's not at my person. Also, I will make sure the case is fulled seated in the shell holder before priming. The picture shows that some are not.
thanks, Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 pm

That's the way I saw it too with those primers with the "crescent moon" pattern embossed on them. I only mentioned the thing about taking care with the direction the cases are pointed as it can easily be toward a body part with a hand primer and one inattentive moment. I have a friend missing a small chunk of his earlobe from a primer detonation failure in a progressive press, and that was a stationary platform. Safety is a must and should always be the primary concern when reloading or handling firearms, otherwise the "attention monster" is just waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting victim.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 pm

In reference to the power of a primer detonating, I read this:
"wear safety glasses, they do make up to 10% of the total charge, enough power to push a bullet 1/2 way down a barrel"
and in ref to the above statement, I had a squib load in my s&w 38sp 6" barrel and it pushed the bullet 5 of the 6" down the barrel. It took a brass rod and a lot of pounding to push it back from where it came from.
What do you think of this lead?:
http://www.atgreloading.com/t339-asked- ... tion-folks