Forward Assist?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Forward Assist?

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm sure there are a bunch of threads about this on AR15.com, but I wanted to ask you guys.

Do you think the forward assist is worth it? I've talked to a lot of veterans and long time AR-15 enthusiast, all have said that they never use the forward assist. They all basically cite their experiences that using the forward assist only complicated the failure they were wanting to clear. Some of them also make a point of noting that AR-15/variants had the serrations on the bolt carrier to serve the same purpose as the forward assist without adding more weight and moving parts (whether this is true or not, I do not know).

So what do y'all think? Have you ever successful used the forward assist? Do you think it's worth putting on an AR?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 am

So what do y'all think? Have you ever successful used the forward assist? Do you think it's worth putting on an AR?
I have only been shooting my AR for two years now, but I have never used the forward assist on my rifle. I have never had a failure to feed with my rifle either, except when single loading with the Bob Sled, and that's because I didn't place the round in correctly. Just the same, it would feel sort of funny not have one on the rifle, just because it's always been there.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:29 am

I've used it in a few instances. I'm not sure what you mean as necessary? If your gun is a K-D match shooter then I don't completely see a need for one. But if you're using it for more tactical situations than tapping on the bolt assist and ensuring that the bolt is fully closed and locked is a comforting step prior to usage. I've also cleared some jams where the bolt wouldn't extract the case and pulling back the charging handle and using the forward assist to go forward has broken loose a stuck shell casing a few times.

I guess the real answer is what your needs are for that rifle. I see it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 pm

By necessary, I generally mean does it add a capability that the rifle needs.

The rifle is just gonna be a plinker/tactical type. The negative I see to putting it on a rifle is it just adds a little bit of weight, and perhaps without much benefit.

For example, the jams that you used the FA to clear sound fairly complicated, realizing that the charging handle wouldn't clear it alone, then having to go to the FA, then back to the charging handle. In that situation, it seems like pushing on the bolt with a thumb would be about as fast.

Then again, perhaps you would not have been able to generate enough force with your thumb sliding the bolt forward, and it does require less motor skill to just bang the FA with your palm.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm

You save a bit of money getting one without the foreward assist, or at least you did before pricing went nuts. I figured I might need it some time and the low cost DPMS came with one. I think you would do just fine without one.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 am

greener wrote:You save a bit of money getting one without the foreward assist, or at least you did before pricing went nuts. I figured I might need it some time and the low cost DPMS came with one. I think you would do just fine without one.
no FA or dust cover would mean less machining operation which eaqual less costs
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 am

bgreenea3 wrote:
greener wrote:You save a bit of money getting one without the foreward assist, or at least you did before pricing went nuts. I figured I might need it some time and the low cost DPMS came with one. I think you would do just fine without one.
no FA or dust cover would mean less machining operation which eaqual less costs
The S&W M&P 15 Sport came that way. Supposed to be a pretty good shooter and was a couple hundred less than the standard model. I don't recall the rest being that much different from the M&P15.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:22 am

The S&W M&P 15 Sport came that way. Supposed to be a pretty good shooter and was a couple hundred less than the standard model. I don't recall the rest being that much different from the M&P15.
Yes, it is a pretty good shooter, better than I expected. This target nwasn 10 shot at 50 yards , the black sticker is one inch,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 am

Yes, it is a pretty good shooter, better than I expected. This target nwasn 10 shot at 50 yards , the black sticker is one inch,
Pretty good shooting OM, but the question remains, can you hit the stem on a 'Queen Ann's Lace at 50 yds? Boy I could kick myself, right about now, for not buying the AR-15/22lr when I had the chance. Drats!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Pretty good shooting OM, but the question remains, can you hit the stem on a 'Queen Ann's Lace at 50 yards? Boy I could kick myself, right about now, for not buying the AR-15/22lr when I had the chance. Drats!
The Queen Ann's lace flowers/weed blossoms are shot at 25 yards as they gow on the 25 yard berm 50 and 100 yard targets share the 100 yard berm and that is along way for a .22LR too hit the stem, tennis balls on a string are fair game at that range, though. Found a new fun game, shooting blackboard chalk broke in half and set in holes drilled the target frame, they really blow up when hit, especially with the 17 HMR. My personal best so0 far has been 9 out of 10 at 100 yards with 10 shots, when will spring be here?

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Pretty good shooting OM, but the question remains, can you hit the stem on a 'Queen Ann's Lace at 50 yards? Boy I could kick myself, right about now, for not buying the AR-15/22lr when I had the chance. Drats!
The Queen Ann's lace flowers/weed blossoms are shot at 25 yards as they gow on the 25 yard berm 50 and 100 yard targets share the 100 yard berm and that is along way for a .22LR too hit the stem, tennis balls on a string are fair game at that range, though. Found a new fun game, shooting blackboard chalk broke in half and set in holes drilled the target frame, they really blow up when hit, especially with the 17 HMR. My personal best so0 far has been 9 out of 10 at 100 yards with 10 shots, when will spring be here?[/quote]

Spring seems to be dragging in much too slowly way down south, too. Good shooting!

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Spring seems to be dragging in much too slowly way down south, too. Good shooting!
I can't wait for spring/summer, Michigan winters are just too long. Seems like the 'older folks' are good shots because of the years of experience. I guess you shouldn't let age fool you when competing.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Watch out for us old guys we got this way by being clever, sneaky and downright lucky at times. My 15-22 is the most common and lowest priced of the line, a #811030, retails for $499.00 MSRP if you can find one. Got the red dot mounted for close in fast shooting, like Jerry, but on the '
South side.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Scarey ascsault rifle.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm

greener wrote:Scarey ascsault rifle.
Yes it is