Plinking with a Mosin-Nagant

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Plinking with a Mosin-Nagant

Post by charlesb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Today my son and I opened up a big can of ammo for the Mosin-Nagant with the oversize church-key we got with it, and went to the range for some plinking fun.

We didn't bring any targets, just shooting at steel silhouettes and flat rocks that we propped up, and empty shotgun hulls on the ground. Almost all of the shooting was done standing. My son tried a few rounds from the bench.

I found that I could hit the man-shaped steel target at 100 yards every time with the old gun. It is a 200 dollar special that was reconditioned, some cosmolene smeared on a few spots etc.. - I bore-scoped the barrel and wished I hadn't, it was truly awful-looking.

It shoots a 4 inch group at fifty yards from the bench though, and is a fun plinker since the ammo is inexpensive.

We quit after shooting 30 rounds or so, and decided to give our shoulders a rest.

Lots of fun plinking with the old war-horse.

It's kind of got me interested in finding one with a good barrel.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:03 am

I always thought plinking was with 22lr ammo, not 7.62x54r? To each is own.
Plinking, to me, sounds a little delicate compared to the russian bruisers. :wink:

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 am

Mosins are about the only centerfire plinker out there. Sounds like a good tone
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I thought I would look up the definition of plinking, 'cause I wasn't sure:
Wikipedia:
Plinking refers to informal target shooting done at nonstandard targets such as tin cans, glass bottles, and balloons filled with water.[1] The term is an onomatopoeia of the sound a bullet or other projectile makes when hitting a tin can, or other similar target, referring to the sharp, metallic sound, known as a "plink".

The most common calibre used for plinking is the .22 Long Rifle rimfire cartridge,[2] since these rounds are relatively inexpensive and have a low recoil, but airguns and airsoft guns are also used, often for cost or safety reasons or because they are subject to less stringent regulation.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Mossiees are a great plinking gun for guys that like to mistreat thei shoulder, and maybe get the flinches in the future.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:32 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Mossiees are a great plinking gun for guys that like to mistreat thei shoulder, and maybe get the flinches in the future.
That's the way I feel OM. I was shooting my MN with the original steel plate buttstock,
and all's I got to say is 'ouch'! I shot about 15 rounds and then called it quits, too much pain.
As far as Charlesb's original post, I am certainly glad you had a great day with your son,
and enjoyed your shooting(plinking), but you and your son must be quite durable in stature,
at least more then me. Since I shot it last, I bought a soft rubber buttstock pad and it sure
helps me out. Charlesb is right, plinking is plinking, regardless, I'd just rather do it with my AR22.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:41 pm

I always took "plinking " to mean informal fun shooting at non paper type targets ( like BAOM's rubber prairie dogs, bowling pins, sticks of chalk, etc etc etc) with any firearm. I guess you could plink with a big bire safari rifle if you had the $$, or an AR/AK variant, all the way down to the loveable 22lr.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I think that's what my post implied above, from wikipedia. It's just less expensive with 22lr and easier on the body then the russian ammo. To each his own.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Especially easier on the body is very important especially with guys old guys because we break easier.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:21 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Especially easier on the body is very important especially with guys old guys because we break easier.
I'm not the tough*** I used to be, come to think of it , I was never that tough to begin with.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm getting the bony shoulders, and have fairly well given up on the 30 and 33 caliber magnums that made my day, in days past.

Now I'm looking to purchase a 30-06 and wondering if I ought to get a .270 instead.

My father used to remind me that getting older is tough - but so much better than the alternative!

The main thing is to have fun... If I do as well as my Dad, I'll never get too old for that!

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 pm

charlesb wrote:I'm getting the bony shoulders, and have fairly well given up on the 30 and 33 caliber magnums that made my day, in days past.

Now I'm looking to purchase a 30-06 and wondering if I ought to get a .270 instead.

My father used to remind me that getting older is tough - but so much better than the alternative!

The main thing is to have fun... If I do as well as my Dad, I'll never get too old for that!
It sounds like you have issues in 'very good' order, charlesb!

greener

Post by greener » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm a tough guy and don't feel any pain no matter how many rounds you shoot. :lol:

I fired 15 rounds from a 30-30 this Saturday. No pain at the range, but I noticed a tender spot on the shoulder Sunday AM.

I remember the old shooting jackets having padding. This might be more useful http://www.amazon.com/Past-Super-Plus-R ... ing+jacket

Charlsb: Sounds like a great way to spend some range time.